1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product?

1. Jun 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im given vectors:

b = x hat + y hat
    c = x hat + z hat

2. Relevant equations
    http://imgur.com/a/iHTOT

3. The attempt at a solution
    so I have 2 eq's... one says:
    r * s = rscos(theta)

the other is a summation saying multiply x component 1 with x component 2, add y component 1 with y component 2, and so on.

Ok so I start with method 2: 1*1 x hat + 1* 0 y hat + 0*1 z hat

so you end with 1 (my books answer).

But when I use "r * s = rscos(theta)" I find the angle between them is 90 degrees so I get 0.

Whv does 1 formula work in this case but the other doesnt

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, this isn't what it is saying. What you get from a dot product is a number -- no vectors involved.

There are two forms for the dot product of vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##: one that involves the cosine of the angle between the vectors, and the other that involves the sum of the products of the components.

Assuming these are your vectors. ##\vec r = <1, 1, 0>## and ##\vec s = <1, 0, 1>##, then ##\vec r \cdot \vec s = 1 \cdot 1 + 1 \cdot 0 + 0 \cdot 1 = 1##

Both formulas work, but the angle between the two vectors is not 90° - they are actually 60° apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted