1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Products

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    I need some major help with some dot products. I was curious if when getting the dot product, you add the angles of each one to each other. I'll give the problem:

theta=(/)

Find A*B(dot product)
    A=8.6i+5j
    B=9.7i+2.6j

So i used the formula my teacher gave me to find the angle, theta, tan(/)=y/x. So i got the Angle for each:
    tan(/)=5/8.6
    (/)=tan^-1(5/8.6)
    (/)=30.2

and then for B:
    tan(/)=2.6/9.7
    (/)=tan^-1(2.6/9.7)
    (/)=15

So now, I am given two formulas to get the dot product
    A*B=ABcos(/)
    AB means the magnitude of A multiplied by the magnitude of B. I can get that, but it asks for one angle... what do I do? Add the two angles together? Or subtract them? I'm confused, please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the formula

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = || \vec A || \, || \vec B || \cos \theta[/tex]

the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors. When you found the "angle" for each vector, what you were really finding was the angle between each vector and the positive x-axis. If one vector makes an angle of 30.2 degress with the positive x-axis, and the other makes an angle of 15 degrees, the angle between them is 30.2 - 15 = 15.2 degrees.

When it doubt, draw a picture! You'll see that the two vectors make an angle of 15.2 degrees between them.

- Warren

4. Oct 18, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the lazy among us, there's an alternative formula:
    if
    [tex]\vec{A}=<A_x,A_y>[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\vec{B}=<B_x,B_y>[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=A_xB_x+A_yB_y[/tex]

5. Oct 18, 2004 #4
    I use both formulas, the first that Warren mentioned to get the answer, then i use the lazy way to check it. Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook