1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics DotNET in physics

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    Does anybody have any idea (or heard about) on how could be employed dotNET in physics?
    I have a degree in (astro)physics and (after studied and got certifications) I'm working as developer in an IT company since 6 months, but it was for need and I desperately searching for some way to apply my new capabilities on physics(anything), because I've always had an irrepressible passion for physics and I don't want to hang up a decade of efforts.

Seen that all new softwares running on Microsoft OSs are now written in dotNET (and that it is fully compatible with Linux, through the Mono-Project), it doesn't seem to be very hard, but after 2 months I really found NOTHING.

Thank you very much to anybody willing to help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not surprised.

What problem does .NET solve for physicists? Similarly, how would my life be easier if I hired a .NET programmer?

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    If you can learn one language, you can learn another. Go find what people ARE using and learn that :-)

.Net is really the square peg in the round hole...

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Yeah, I agree with Sankaku. Fortran, C++, C, Python, sometimes Java... any or all (not a complete list) would be good to know if you want to get into physics-related programming.

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5
    Thank you, especially for the precise indications on the most used languages.
    @Vanadium: dotNET should be useful in any occasion in which you use an application running under Windows, like Originlab-Origin just to say one, or Mathematica, but I agree with you that for other tasks, as modeling f.e., there are other languages with much better performance (no question) and just to let apart Linux that is the most used in academics.

I'm not a MS fan, I only found myself got into something useful after many months of desperate searching (in Italy the situation is awful for research) and I only appreciate the good of a new technology (similar to Java).
    Thank you again to everybody for the clear answers and for having cast a ray of light.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook