Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dotted Line on Blackboard

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello,

I have been watching a few lectures recently by Walter Lewin at MIT, and I've noticed that he draws dotted lines really quickly using only a piece of chalk and his hand. How does he do this free-hand so quickly? Does he just have a very fast muscle-twitch or is there a special technique of doing this? I have tried doing this on my whiteboard at home and I can't do it anything like the speed at which he does it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2
    Is it the same Walter Lewin as this one?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464025&highlight=lewin"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Jul 7, 2011 #3
    It's got to be the chalk skipping on the chalkboard. I once knew a guy that could draw practically perfect concentric circles free-hand. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Chalk makes more friction against a chalkboard than a marker makes against a whiteboard. That friction is a useful tool for helping me "control" my writing. My writing during lectures became noticeably sloppier when we replaced our chalkboards with whiteboards.

6. Jul 8, 2011 #5

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello,

Thank you for the link. That is exactly what I was talking about. I would really like to try and see if I can figure out how to angle the chalk to produce that effect on a blackboard. Regarding the drawing of perfect circles, I also think this is very cool. I guess this is because the shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint.

7. Jul 8, 2011 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Tip for drawing circles on the board (whether white or chalk): First draw the circle, then draw the dot for its center. It's a lot harder to center them properly when you do it the other way! :yuck:

8. Apr 26, 2012 #7
    This guy demonstrates it very nicely. It's all about the angle at which you hold the chalk and the pressure you apply.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Apr 26, 2012 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Necroposts mystify me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook