1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Angle Formula Problem

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/6) =[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]/2, use the double angle formula for the cosine function to find cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/12) and sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/12) explicitly.

2. Relevant equations

cos(2x)=cos2x - sin2x
    cos2x + sin2x = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

So it wants me to find cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/12) which is half the angle of cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/6). So I called these cosx and cos 2x.

I then said [itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]/2 = cos2x - sin2x

I used cos2x + sin2x = 1 and got sin2x on its own and subbed into the first formula and then got cosx on its own.

For sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/12) I subbed in sin2x = 1- cos2x and got sinx on its own.

Is this the correct method for finding the answers?

The inverse of cosx and sinx were [itex]\pi[/itex]/12 so I assume I am but not sure. I'd be thankful to anyone who could clear this up.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [itex]cos(2x)= cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)[/itex] so that [itex]cos(2x)= cos^2(x)- (1- cos^2(x))= 2cos^2(x)- 1[/itex] and [itex]cos(2x)= (1- sin^2(x))- sin^2(x)= 1- 2sin^2(x)[/itex]. Set cos(2x) equal to [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] and solve for sin(x) and cos(x). Of course, you take the positive root.

I am not clear why you would question your reasoning.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. May 11, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct. Did you get exact radical values? You have$$
    \cos(2x) = \cos^2x -\sin^2 x = 2\cos^2x - 1 = 1-2\sin^2 x$$You are just using the last two equations to solve for ##\cos x## and ##\sin x## in terms of ##\cos(2x)##.

5. May 11, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys! HallsofIvy its just sometimes when I do these questions I think I'm right and then I only get it partly correct or not correct at all. I was just wanting to be sure as these type of questions may come up in my finals.

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    @teme92. You have to get into the habit of not doubting your reasoning. Yes, self-criticism will help you improve your abilities at problem solving, but when it gets in the way of you being confident in your answers it can be a problem.

7. May 12, 2014 #6
    Hey xiavatar, when it comes down to exams I will go with my instincts unquestionably but I just want to be safe in the run up to them. As you said, self-criticism has improved my understanding of a lot of topics in mathematics so I'd prefer to be safe than sorry in this instant :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted