Double Angle Proofs - Explained in Trig

• Thread starter Hogart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: A+B) = Sin A cosB + cos A sin BIn summary, the equations sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)*cos(theta) and cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta) can be derived from the trigonometric identities sin( a+b ) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b) and cos( a+b ) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b) by substituting a and b with theta. These identities can also be used to solve for the dot product of two vectors and find the values of sine and cosine for angles A and B.
Hogart
Hello,

I'm currently trying to convert polar equations to Cartesian equations and vise-versa. I noticed an equation needed a Trig ID I am not familiar with:

sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)*cos(theta)

cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta)

My apologies if that looks like an eye soar; I'm new here and don't know how to use those fancy characters. Anyway, I don't recall these ID's. I might have not been paying attention in Trig.

If anyone can explain to me how they are equal I would greatly appreciate it!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the addition (or if you want subtraction) identity.

sin( a+b ) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)
cos( a+b ) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b)

Setting a for theta and b also for theta. See if you can figure it out...

sin( theta+theta ) = ??
cos( theta+theta) = ??

Hogart said:
Hello,

I'm currently trying to convert polar equations to Cartesian equations and vise-versa. I noticed an equation needed a Trig ID I am not familiar with:

sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)*cos(theta)

cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta)

My apologies if that looks like an eye soar; I'm new here and don't know how to use those fancy characters. Anyway, I don't recall these ID's. I might have not been paying attention in Trig.

If anyone can explain to me how they are equal I would greatly appreciate it!

If a vector is r*Cos(A) i + r*sin(A) j

and the other is :

r*Cos(B) i + r*sin(B) j

and you dot product them

and A is bigger than B by A-B difference

r**2 cos A cos B + r**2 Sin A Sin B = r**2 cos( angle between)

cos A cos B + sin A sin B = cos(A-B) if B=-B

it is easy toı show that

Cos(A+B) = cosA cos B - Sin A sin B

And where sin**2 + cos**2 = 1

you can find

Sin(A+B)=Sin A cosB + cos A sin B

Last edited:
Also Cos(90 - (A+B)) = Sin(A+B)
cos((90-A ) - B)
Apply result from proof

cos (90-A) cos(B)+sin (90-A) sin(B) = Sin(A+B)

SinA cosB+cosA sin B = Sin(A+B)

Hello there,

I am familiar with trigonometry and its various identities, including the double angle identities. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and equations, and they are derived from the basic trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent.

To understand the double angle identities, it is important to first understand the concept of double angles. A double angle is an angle that is twice the measure of another angle. For example, if we have an angle theta, the double angle would be 2theta.

The first identity you mentioned, sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)*cos(theta), is known as the double angle formula for sine. It states that the sine of a double angle is equal to twice the product of the sine and cosine of the original angle. This can be derived using the sum identity for sine, which states that sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + sin(B)cos(A). If we let A = B = theta, we get sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)*cos(theta).

Similarly, the second identity, cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta), is known as the double angle formula for cosine. It can be derived using the difference identity for cosine, which states that cos(A-B) = cos(A)cos(B) + sin(A)sin(B). Again, if we let A = B = theta, we get cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta).

These identities may seem complex at first, but with practice and understanding of the basic trigonometric functions, they can be easily applied in converting between polar and Cartesian equations. I hope this explanation helps you in your understanding of double angle proofs.

What is a double angle proof?

A double angle proof is a mathematical technique used in trigonometry to show that two expressions involving double angles are equal. It involves using trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate and simplify the expressions until they are equivalent.

When are double angle proofs used?

Double angle proofs are commonly used when solving trigonometric equations or when simplifying trigonometric expressions. They are also useful in applications involving angles, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation.

What are the basic steps of a double angle proof?

The basic steps of a double angle proof include starting with the given expression, using trigonometric identities to manipulate the expression, substituting values or equations for the trigonometric functions, simplifying the expression, and arriving at the desired result. It is important to keep track of the identities used and to work systematically.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in double angle proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities used in double angle proofs include the double angle identities (such as sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) and cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)), the Pythagorean identities (such as sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1), and the sum and difference identities (such as sin(x + y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)).

Are there any tips for solving double angle proofs?

Some tips for solving double angle proofs include being familiar with the basic trigonometric identities, practicing regularly, and working systematically. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem and to break the proof into smaller, more manageable steps.