Double-Angle Simplification

• Thread starter MaoRaygo
  • Start date
In summary: You will then have:\frac{1}{2} \sin(2x +2x) = \frac{1}{2} (\sin(2x) \cos(2x) - \cos(2x)\sin(2x))= \sin(2x) \cos(2x) - 2\sin(2x)\cos(2x)= 2\sin(x)\cos(x)\cos(2x) - 2\sin(2x)\cos(x)\cos(x)= 2\sin(x)\cos(x)(\cos(2x) - \sin(2x))= 2\sin(x)\cos(x)(\cos(2x)
MaoRaygo

Homework Statement

I've been having problems with a lot of identity problems lately, but I've found that I'm especially having issues with problems like this one;
Verify the identity,

1/2 Sin (4x) = 2SinxCosx-4Sin3xCosx

Homework Equations

My professor told me you use Sin(A-B)=SinACosB-CosASinB

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I could do was

1/2 Sin4x=2SinxCox-4Sin3xCos

1/2Sin4x=2(SinxCosx-2sin3)

1/2Sin4x=2Sin(x-4x)=-2Sin(3x)

I know that this is a horrible attempt at solving, but some help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaoRaygo said:

Homework Statement

I've been having problems with a lot of identity problems lately, but I've found that I'm especially having issues with problems like this one;
Verify the identity,

1/2 Sin (4x) = 2SinxCosx-4Sin3xCosx

Homework Equations

My professor told me you use Sin(A-B)=SinACosB-CosASinB

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I could do was

1/2 Sin4x=2SinxCox-4Sin3xCos

1/2Sin4x=2(SinxCosx-2sin3)

1/2Sin4x=2Sin(x-4x)=-2Sin(3x)

I know that this is a horrible attempt at solving, but some help would be greatly appreciated.

Start with the LHS and write [itex] \frac{1}{2} \sin(4x)\,\,\text{as}\,\, \frac{1}{2} \sin(2x +2x) [/itex] and expand using the addition formula as your professor suggested.

What is double-angle simplification?

Double-angle simplification is a mathematical process used to simplify trigonometric expressions that contain double angles (angles that are twice the size of another angle). It involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite the expression in a simpler form.

Why is double-angle simplification important?

Double-angle simplification is important because it allows us to solve more complex trigonometric equations and expressions. It also makes it easier to graph and analyze these functions.

What are the most commonly used double-angle identities?

The most commonly used double-angle identities are:
- sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
- cos(2x) = cos²(x) - sin²(x)
- tan(2x) = 2tan(x) / (1 - tan²(x))
- cot(2x) = (cot²(x) - 1) / 2cot(x)
- sec(2x) = (1 + tan²(x)) / (1 - tan²(x))
- csc(2x) = (2csc(x)cos(x)) / (1 + cot²(x))

How do you use double-angle simplification to solve equations?

To solve an equation using double-angle simplification, you first identify the double-angle expression and then use the appropriate identity to rewrite it in a simpler form. Then, you can solve the equation as you would normally, using algebraic methods.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using double-angle simplification?

One common mistake to avoid is applying the wrong double-angle identity. It is important to carefully check the expression and select the correct identity to use. Another mistake is forgetting to apply the double-angle identity to both terms of the expression, which can lead to incorrect simplification. Lastly, it is important to be aware of any restrictions on the values of the variables when using double-angle simplification.