1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Atwood Machine Problem

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the masses for a double Atwood machine similar to the own shown in the attached picture are m1=2.0kg, m2=3.0kg, and m3=8.0kg: (a) what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the system and (b) how would you draw free-body diagrams for this problem?

NOTE: m3 does not tilt. Also, two strings will have two tensions.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the net force by using: F=8g-3g-2g=3g. Then I added the masses to get 13kg. a=F/m=3g/13kg=2.26m/s^2. The problem however, is that I know my professor won't take this. She'll want to see drawings of FBD first (which I managed to draw FBD for m1 and m2 but am not sure how to draw m3), and for me to use tensions as well. I'm not really sure how to do it that way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the net force on what?

So what did the free body diagrams for m1 and m2 tell you?

What forces act on ##m_3##?

Furthermore, think about what correlations among the accelerations of the masses that you can write down.

Also note that this is not what would typically be called a double Atwood machine. This is a double Atwood machine:
    image015.jpg
    What you have is actually equivalent to a normal Atwood machine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted