Double Ball Bounce question

In summary, the problem involves two balls being dropped from a height of 2m and bouncing off the ground and each other. The velocity of the upper ball after the collision can be calculated using the coefficient of restitution and the mass of both balls. The maximum height reached by the upper ball after the collision can also be determined by calculating the potential and kinetic energy. However, the problem may be more complex in the real world, as the timing of the bounces and the transfer of energy between the balls can affect the final velocities and heights.
Samyuerux

Homework Statement

4. The double-ball bounce
Consider 2 balls on top of another that are being dropped from a height h = 2 m,
see the Figure below. They will hit the ground and bounce back and we want to
compute the velocity of the upper ball after the bounce.
(a) (b)
We can model this as a sequence of two collisions. Let us assume that the upper ball
has a mass of 100 g, and that the lower ball has a mass of 10 kg. We rst consider
the collision between the lower ball and the ground.
(a) What is the velocity of the balls just before the lower ball hits the ground?

(b) Assume that the collision between the ball and the ground is perfectly elastic,
what is the velocity of the lower ball just after it hits the ground?
Now let us consider the collision of the upper and the lower ball.
(c) Assume that the collision is elastic with a coecient of restitution e = 0:9.
Compute the velocity of the upper ball after the collision.
(d) What is the maximum height the upper ball reaches after the collision?

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question for part a where two balls are falling and you work out the velocity, because its on top to i count it as one system? or do i calculate the velocities individually?
Just need to clarify this so i can do it correctly :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized they will both have same velocity.. lol
and velocity will be about 2.8 m/s i believe

Ok so far i have velocity of balls before hitting the ground using d = 1/2at^2 + Vit
this works out as 2= 5t^2
therefor t = 0.28 seconds
And then using V = a.t i get V at 2.8 seconds (g = 10m/s^2) for this example

Then for velocity after collision i find the Ep (potential energy) = m.g.h = 200
And then use that for Ek = 1/2mv^2
which means 200 = 1/2 10. V^2
so V^2 = 200/5
V = Sqaure root of 40
= 6.325 m/s
Is that correct so far?

This problem is more complicated in the real world. One issue is if the upper ball bounces off the lower ball before, at the same time, or after the lower ball bounces off the ground. You're probably supposed to assume that the upper ball bounces off the lower ball at the same time the lower ball bounces off the ground. The upper ball is going to end up with much more velocity than the lower ball, and may end up bouncing higher than the initial height it was dropped from, since some of the energy is transferred from the lower ball to the upper ball during a bounce.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and assumptions, such as the mass of the balls, the height they are dropped from, and the coefficient of restitution. I would then use the principles of conservation of energy and momentum to solve for the velocity of the lower ball just before it hits the ground, and the velocity of the lower ball just after it hits the ground assuming a perfectly elastic collision.

For part c, I would use the coefficient of restitution to calculate the velocity of the upper ball after the collision. And for part d, I would use the principles of conservation of energy to calculate the maximum height the upper ball reaches after the collision.

In terms of calculating the velocities, I would treat the two balls as a single system since they are connected and will collide with each other. This will allow for a more accurate calculation of the velocities after the collision. However, if the problem specifically asks for the individual velocities of each ball, then they should be calculated separately.

1. How does the double ball bounce question work?

The double ball bounce question involves dropping two balls of different weights from the same height and observing their respective bounces. The heavier ball will bounce higher due to its greater momentum, which is a result of its larger mass and acceleration towards the ground.

2. What is the significance of the double ball bounce question?

The double ball bounce question is often used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of inertia and the law of action and reaction. It also highlights the concept of momentum and how it affects the behavior of objects in motion.

3. Is the double ball bounce question affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance does play a role in the double ball bounce question. However, its effect is minimal due to the short duration of the experiment and the relatively small size of the balls. Other factors such as the surface of the balls and the surface they are dropped on may also impact the results.

4. Can the double ball bounce question be used to determine the coefficient of restitution?

Yes, the double ball bounce question can be used to calculate the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. By measuring the heights of the bounces and using the formula for coefficient of restitution, the elasticity of the collision between the two balls can be determined.

5. How can the double ball bounce question be applied in real-life situations?

The principles demonstrated in the double ball bounce question can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding the behavior of objects in motion, predicting the outcome of collisions, and designing efficient sports equipment. It also has practical applications in engineering and physics, such as in the design of shock absorbers and crumple zones in vehicles.