Double Ball Drop and linear momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear momentum problem involving two balls of different mass being dropped one on top of the other, with the smaller mass on top. The question is how to determine the velocity of both balls after they collide with the ground. The poster acknowledges that this is a trivial problem but is having difficulty understanding it. They request help and apologize for posting in the wrong forum.
Gibanga
I'm having a problem with this problem:

Two balls of different mass are dropped one in top of the other, more precisely the one with the smaller mass on top.

How can i figure out the velocity of both balls after the collision with the ground?

I know this is a very trivial linear momentum problem, but i just can't get my head around it.

Can someone enlighten me?

(sorry for posting this tipe of question here, I'm new to the forum and i just realized that i should post this in the homework tab, btw, how can i delete posts or move them to another place?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume reflection with the ground has just reversed the velocity of the bottom ball.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. The double ball drop problem is a classic example in physics that involves understanding the concept of linear momentum. In order to solve this problem, we first need to understand what linear momentum is and how it relates to the motion of objects.

Linear momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how much motion an object has. When two objects collide, their total linear momentum before the collision is equal to their total linear momentum after the collision, assuming there are no external forces acting on the system.

In the case of the double ball drop, we can use the conservation of linear momentum to determine the velocity of both balls after the collision with the ground. We know that the ball on top will have a smaller mass and therefore a smaller linear momentum compared to the ball on the bottom. However, since the total linear momentum must be conserved, the velocity of the ball on top will be greater than the velocity of the ball on the bottom.

To solve for the velocities of both balls, we can use the equation:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two balls, v1 and v2 are their initial velocities before the collision, and v1' and v2' are their velocities after the collision. We can rearrange this equation to solve for v1' and v2':

v1' = (m1v1 + m2v2 - m2v2')/m1

v2' = (m1v1 + m2v2 - m1v1')/m2

By plugging in the known values for mass and velocity, we can solve for the velocities of both balls after the collision.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the concept of linear momentum and how it applies to the double ball drop problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As for moving or deleting your post, you can contact the forum moderators for assistance with that. Best of luck with your problem!

1. What is the Double Ball Drop experiment?

The Double Ball Drop experiment involves dropping two balls of different masses from the same height and observing their motion. This allows for the study of linear momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How does the Double Ball Drop experiment demonstrate linear momentum?

During the experiment, the balls will have the same initial velocity, but due to their different masses, they will have different final velocities. This shows that the more massive ball has a greater momentum, as it requires more force to change its velocity.

3. What factors affect the linear momentum in the Double Ball Drop experiment?

The linear momentum in the Double Ball Drop experiment is affected by the mass and velocity of the balls, as well as the height from which they are dropped. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact.

4. How is the linear momentum calculated in the Double Ball Drop experiment?

The linear momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by its velocity. In the Double Ball Drop experiment, the initial and final velocities of the balls can be measured using a timer and a ruler, and the mass can be measured using a scale.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Double Ball Drop experiment and linear momentum?

The concept of linear momentum is used in various fields, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball), transportation (e.g. car collisions), and engineering (e.g. designing roller coasters). The Double Ball Drop experiment can also help understand the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of momentum.