Double Beta Decay: Questions from a Newbie

In summary, if double beta decay were to occur, it would be due to two neutrons in close proximity decaying to two protons simultaneously. Doing so would violate some conservation laws, but would be possible if neutrinos had mass.
seerongo
I am new to this forum and hoping all you experts here can help explain some things that have been bugging me.

In a double beta decay (any kind, with or without neutrinos), I read that the decay occurs from two separate neutrons, apparently simultaneously. Is this the case, or can one neutron decay into two protons somehow? The Feynman diagram I saw implies two separate neutrons. If the decay is from two separate neutrons, by what mechanism can two separate neutrons "know" to decay simultaneously, even if they are neighbors? Is there some trigger that affects both at once?

Ron

Physics news on Phys.org
If one neutron decayed to two protons, this would violate Conservation of Baryon number

daveb said:
If one neutron decayed to two protons, this would violate Conservation of Baryon number
Not to mention conservation of mass/energy. :biggrin:

seerongo said:
In a double beta decay (any kind, with or without neutrinos), I read that the decay occurs from two separate neutrons, apparently simultaneously. [...] If the decay is from two separate neutrons, by what mechanism can two separate neutrons "know" to decay simultaneously, even if they are neighbors? Is there some trigger that affects both at once?
A neutron decays into a proton, an electron and an antineutrino. Alternatively, neutron decay can be triggered by the absorption of a neutrino, leading to a proton and an electron.

So, if inside the nucleus the anti-neutrino somehow transforms into a neutrino, it likely to trigger such a "baby" neutron decay, almost simultaneous (for all purposes). Obviously this violates lepton number conservation (since neutrino and anti-neutrino have opposite lepton number).

This is possible only if neutrino have mass, and are of Majorana type. In that case, they differ only by their handeness (you can take that as the definition of "Majorana type"), and if they have mass they should be able to oscillate between the two handeness state. If neutrino were really masseless, they would conserve their hadeness. So early searches for neutrino mass (and type) were focusing on (neutrinoless) double-beta decay.

This is now rather old stuff however. See NEMO web page

edit
BTW, welcome to PF :biggrin:
Don't be offended by comments, we are actually having a lot of fun here :uhh:
Such as for instance "Violation of energy conservation !? Stop it, you are killing me ! :rofl:"

Last edited:
and charge

daveb said:
Not to mention charge.:biggrin:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was looking for some triggering event. I figured it made no sense for one neutron to decay to two protons (although I didn't really know why...)
Thanks, Humanino, for the Nemo site link. I saw that site and that's what got me thinking about it. The Feynman diagrams explain the processes nicely but did little to explain the simultaneity. Your scenario would explain simultaneity but only if one of the antineutrinos became a neutrino. In the originally predicted (and as I understand, observed) double beta - double antineutrino decay where both antineutrinos excape, the question (for me) remains.

seerongo said:
In the originally predicted (and as I understand, observed) double beta - double antineutrino decay where both antineutrinos excape, the question (for me) remains.
This one is rather trivial. In some rare cases, there is simply no favorable simple beta decay. For the decay to release energy, you need to turn 2 neutrons into 2 protons. This is illustrated in the following plot from NEMO site :
BB2nuScheme.png

Simple beta decay would be Z -> Z+1 (which is not possible).
Only double beta is possible Z -> Z+2

Perhaps the simultaneity results from the short time formation of an unstable dineutron (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dineutron ) in those few isotopes where double beta decay has been observed, that is, a [NN] unstable nucleon cluster in the outer "halo" area of certain isotopes. It is known that dineutron has a very weak and unstable subthreshold resonance of ~ 0.067 MeV (see: Sofianos et al, 1997, J. Phys G: N Part Phy 23: 1619-1629 ). So, if both neutrons in the dineutron [NN] form such a resonance, and then decay at "the same time", one would observe double beta decay experimental results. Both dineutron and double beta decay are rare events, so this hypothesis that they are coupled physical events seems to make sense to me--but I am no expert, just some thoughts to add to the discussion.

1. What is double beta decay?

Double beta decay is a nuclear process where an unstable nucleus decays by emitting two electrons (beta particles) and two anti-neutrinos. In this process, the number of protons in the nucleus decreases by two, resulting in a new element.

2. How is double beta decay different from single beta decay?

In single beta decay, only one beta particle and one anti-neutrino are emitted, while in double beta decay, two of each are emitted. Additionally, double beta decay can only occur in nuclei that are not stable through single beta decay.

3. What is the significance of double beta decay?

Double beta decay is a rare nuclear process that can provide insight into the properties of neutrinos, which are fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps scientists understand the stability of the atomic nucleus and nuclear reactions.

4. Can double beta decay be observed in nature?

Yes, double beta decay has been observed in certain naturally occurring nuclear isotopes, such as germanium-76 and tellurium-130. However, it is a rare process and can also be induced experimentally using high-energy particle accelerators.

5. What are the potential applications of double beta decay?

Double beta decay has potential applications in fields such as nuclear energy, where it could be used to generate power from abundant and relatively safe nuclear isotopes. It also has potential in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the search for dark matter in the universe.