Exploring the Double Bond: Why is it Different?

• Thread starter Cheman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary: They eventually figure out that the double bond is different than the single bond because the pi bond is further from the nucleus, due to the p orbitals orientation, and thus attract more than the nuclei repel in-coming molecule's electrons.
Cheman
Double bond...

We always talk about the double bond in an alkene being an area of particularly high electron density, which induces charges on other molecules, which is what usually causes it to react. But why is this only the case for double not single? I mean, single bonds are not overly attractive since the electrons attract as much as the nuclei repel. Is the double bond different because the pi bond is that little bit further from the nucleus, due to the p orbitals orientation, and thus attract more than the nuclei repel in-coming molecule's electrons?

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Although single bonds polarize compounds such as bromine when in close proximity, I believe that the electron density is not high enough to polarize to the point of breaking. Therefore, the single bonds will not prompt a reaction while the double bonds will. An example of this would be benzene and bromine, which yields dibromobenzene.

A double bond is made of three orbital bonds, known as Pi (two fo them) and Sigma ([tex]\pi[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] respectively).

You probably know how these are formed so I will get to the point. The electrons that can be used to form other compounds will be in the two [tex]\pi[/tex] orbitals as these are were the free electrons are. A [tex]\pi[/tex] and a [tex]\sigma[/tex] are, together, not as strong as one [tex]\sigma[/tex] bond. Why?? I don't know yet but I intent to find out.

I think the best way to explain why single bonds are stronger is that, because of the position the orbitals are, a [tex]\sigma[/tex] bond is more direct in attraction than a [tex]\pi[/tex] bond. This means that the attraction through the orbitals is stronger. It is the old saying: 'The shortest point to A and B is a stright line'. This is the same for a [tex]\sigma[/tex] bond.

If any of this is wrong then I ask someone to correct it but this is my understand of it after reading on the subject for 10 minutes in my chemistry lesson today.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is a double bond?

A double bond is a type of chemical bond where two pairs of electrons are shared between two atoms. It is represented by two parallel lines (=) between the atoms.

2. Why is a double bond different from a single bond?

A double bond is different from a single bond because it involves the sharing of two pairs of electrons, while a single bond only involves the sharing of one pair of electrons. This results in a stronger bond and different chemical properties.

3. What types of molecules can have double bonds?

Double bonds can be found in a variety of molecules, including alkenes, alkynes, and some functional groups such as carbonyls and nitriles. These molecules typically have unsaturated bonds and are more reactive due to the presence of a double bond.

4. How does the presence of a double bond affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule?

The presence of a double bond can affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule in several ways. Double bonds tend to make molecules more polar, which can affect solubility and boiling point. They also make molecules more reactive, as the double bond can easily break and form new bonds with other molecules.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding double bonds?

Understanding double bonds is crucial in fields such as organic chemistry, biochemistry, and material science. It allows scientists to predict the reactivity and behavior of molecules, synthesize new compounds, and develop new materials with desirable properties.