1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double curl identity

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, but it won't let me post on the other page.

A well known vector identity is that rot(rot(E)) = grad(div(E)) - div(grad(E)).
    I've actually used this before without encountering any problems, so I don't know if I'm just having a brain fart or something, but shouldn't grad(div(E)) be equal to a vector and div(grad(E)) be equal to a scalar? How can you add or subtract them? It doesn't make any sense.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi ShamelessGit! :smile:

In that identity E is a vector and grad(E) is a component wise gradient yielding a matrix.
    The divergence is taken of the gradient of each of the components of E.

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    Isn't it ∇ × ∇ × E = ∇ (∇ · E) - ∇ ^2 E, where ∇ ^2 is the vector Laplacian (as in, ∇ ^2 E instead of ∇ · (∇ E) or the scalar Laplacian)? That way they are both vectors. At least that's what I've been told.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. May 9, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

The Laplacian is defined as the divergence of the gradient.
    It's just a shorthand notation.

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    (I'm sure you're correct, don't get me wrong. I just want to understand this myself. I don't actually know that much about the maths behind this, I've only had to use nablas in physics and haven't even encountered partial derivatives in actual mathematics classes yet.)

Yeah, I know that using ∇ is just a shorter notation, but isn't ∇ ^2 A for a vector field A defined as the vector Laplacian

[itex]\nabla^2 \overline{A} = \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x}\hat{i} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y}\hat{j} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z}\hat{k} [/itex]

and ∇ ^2 A for a scalar field A separately defined as the scalar Laplacian

[itex]\nabla^2 {A} = \nabla \cdot (\nabla A) = \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z} [/itex]

Or have I just understood something wrong?

7. May 9, 2012 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes, I'm afraid you've misunderstood.

[tex]\Delta \mathbf{A} = \nabla^2 \mathbf{A} = (\frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{i} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{j} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{k} [/tex]

The vector laplacian is the same as the scalar laplacian, but it is applied component-wise on the vector.

8. May 9, 2012 #7
    Ok, thanks a lot for the clarification! :smile:

IIRC my lecturer actually used the word 'vector Laplacian' (not in English, but still), when deriving the wave equation for electromagnetic waves. I might just remember wrong, though, or it might've been a careless mistake by him. Now I know better, so thanks!

9. May 9, 2012 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

10. May 9, 2012 #9
    Yeah, that's what I figured from your previous post.

I thought he did, in the very same "curl of the curl"-sense, when taking the curl of Maxwell's third and fourth equations. But I tried to search our lecture notes for the word and couldn't find it, so now I'm starting to think I just remember wrong or something. Nevertheless, sorry for the trouble I caused (apologies to OP as well!) & thanks for explaining this to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook