Double degree Aerospace/Science

In summary, the speaker is a student who is currently studying Aerospace Engineering/Science and is now faced with the decision of choosing a Science major. They are considering Physics and Computer Science and have also thought about doing a double degree and double major in Science. However, due to the length of their degree, this may not be possible. They are seeking advice on which major would be better suited for their career goals in the aerospace industry, such as working for NASA or SpaceX. The conversation also discusses the benefits of having a background in computer science and the potential workload of double majoring.
michojek
Hi, I am currently studying Aerospace Engineering/Science (just finished my first year - 4 years to go :D)
and its finally coming to a point where I have to pick my Science major.

Right now for the Science part I am torn between Physics and Computer Science...
I really like them both, and even considered doing double degree + double major in science..
However since my degree is already 5 years it seems as though that isn't really plausible.

So, the question is which major should I pick, I would like some advice from these majors :S

I love Computer Science and Physics (but physics probably slightly more), however since the 'Aerospace Engineering' sector isn't so big in Australia, I thought a Computer Science degree would be good to fall back on + it is compliments well with my Aerospace degree..

Which raises another question, which major would compliment better with an Aerospace degree?

Also I've heard that usually people who major in Physics would do their PhD?

My goal is to one day work for Nasa/SpaceX or any other research sectors maybe large technology firm or government..

I know that most of you would say its my choice and that they aren't going to decide for me, however I have absolutely no experience in these career fields and would like to hear from both sides (Comp/Phys)

-Thanks =]

Physics news on Phys.org
so you are studying aerospace in addition to either physics or compsci??

Yep!

Physics B.S's generally do continue onward to graduate school. In fact, it's kinda of "well if you're not going to grad school...what ARE you going to do?"

It's the expected norm, mostly because a B.S in physics doesn't qualify you for much of anything. Other than graduate school. It does greatly increase your analytic capabilities, as well as many other personal qualities, but it's not a direct path to any sort of job.

Someone can feel free to correct me, but for most IT/comp sci jobs, it's a "related" degree, not a degree. The HR person who reviews applications seeks the degree as a weed-out mechanism, and I'd hardly say a Physics/Aero double degree is ... lacking in rigor. If you can back up that you can DO the task you're applying for, you're probably not going to be overlooked simply because you didn't get the comp sci degree.

If comp sci is only your fall back plan, I'd suggest studying physics with a heavy emphasis in your spare time on learning and mastering IT interests that would compliment your ideal career path, but that are also capable of holding their own in a job market. I'd suggest programming, ideally. You'll need some level of programming knowledge anyways for physics (it really helps).

Also, physics will probably share more courses with the Engineering degree. Which makes life easier.

Cheers!

Double majoring is a lot of work. Just make sure you realize just how much of a workload it really is.

I'm doing a double major and I have to take 7 to 10 classes a semester because of it.

I've heard of a woman taking 8 classes a semester at Harvard and doing well so its possible if you're smart enough and are truly willing to study and put the work in.

Don't expect to have a social life or sleep 8 hours every night, though. Finals week is a killer.

i actually recommend doing the computer science alongside the aerospace. hayleysarg is totally correct that physics shares courses (especially thermodynamics and fluids, depending on your focus of course). i guess my question is, what are you doing that requires physics AND aerospace.

from a graduate student in mechanical engineering (almost identical to aerospace for my concentration) i have to say for me a background in computer science would have made life easier and more attractive to employers. talk to some engineers (im only a grad student) but i think theyll agree: get the computer science

for what its worth, i double-majored and my degree in mathematics has been a HUGE help. just a thought if youre set on doubling.

great!
I've decided to do comp-sci with aerospace
thanks guys for ur replies!
:D

Hi I'm just wondering if you know what colleges offer double majors in aerospace and computer science because I'm interesting in doing that as well.

1. What is a double degree in Aerospace/Science?

A double degree in Aerospace/Science is a program that combines two different academic disciplines - Aerospace Engineering and Science. It allows students to gain knowledge and skills in both fields and receive two degrees upon completion.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree in Aerospace/Science?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double degree in Aerospace/Science. Firstly, it allows students to gain a broader understanding of both fields and the ability to apply knowledge from one area to the other. It also increases job prospects as graduates will have skills and knowledge in two different areas, making them more competitive in the job market.

3. How long does it take to complete a double degree in Aerospace/Science?

The duration of a double degree in Aerospace/Science varies depending on the university and program. On average, it takes around 5 years to complete the program, as opposed to 4 years for a single degree. However, some universities offer accelerated programs that can be completed in 4 years.

4. Is a double degree in Aerospace/Science challenging?

Like any other academic program, a double degree in Aerospace/Science can be challenging. It requires dedication, hard work, and strong time management skills. Students will need to balance coursework from two different disciplines, which can be demanding. However, with proper planning and support, it is a manageable and rewarding experience.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a double degree in Aerospace/Science?

Graduates with a double degree in Aerospace/Science have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, working in areas such as aerospace engineering, aircraft design, space exploration, and more. They can also choose to work in the science field, in areas such as research, development, and technology. With a double degree, graduates have the flexibility to choose from a variety of exciting career paths.