Double Delata Function Potential

One with the plus sign and the other with the minus sign. That's what I meant by two solutions.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential v(x)=-c[d(x+a)+d(x-a)] and its bound states. The problem was solved by setting the two sides of the delta barriers equal to each other and solving the Schrodinger equation for both barriers. The energy value was found to be -[(16ma^3)/(2h^2)+4a+(h^2)/(2m)) and it was mentioned that there may be only one bound state energy. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of graphical equations and provides a link for formatting equations.
Shock
Off the top of their head, does anyone know how many bound states the potential v(x)=-c[d(x+a)+d(x-a)] might have?

I went through the problem as follows: got a growing exponential to the left of -a, got a growing plus a decaying exponential inbetween -a and a, and a decaying exponential to the right of a.

I set them equal to each other at the delta barriors (aka the one left of -a equal to the one inside, and the one right of a equal to the one inside).

I then solved the schrodinger equation for both of the barriors, and then normalized the three components.

With this set of equations i did 2pgs of alegbra lol, and finally got a E equal to -[(16ma^3)/(2h^2)+4a+(h^2)/(2m))

i don't knwo how to interpret this energy for the number of bound states, because its always negative (i think). So either its all wrong :( or that is the one and only state, or what? i really don't know if my strategy or my excecution is right, Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall getting analytical solutions to delta-potentials.

The forms of your wavefunctions are correct. So, you should have 4 arbitrary coefficients (correct?). You also have the parameter 'c' for the strength of the potentials. And you have 4 equations from the BCs. If you solved the equations correctly, you'd get the even and odd solutions (ie : you would end up with something like [itex]A^2 = B^2 \implies A = \pm B[/itex], where A,B are the coefficients of the wavefunction between the two spikes) as expected from the symmetry of the problem. Plugging these two cases back in will give you two transcendental equations. You can solve these graphically, find the solutions, and check if they give rise to normalizable wave functions.

PS : According to what you've written above, there's only one bound state energy. This may very well be troe, if one of the two solutions gives something unphysical (and needs to be thrown away).

Last edited:
Sorry my E= -[(16mc^3)/(2h^2)+4c+(h^2)/(2m)) where c is actually labled alpha in the problem (i don't know how to do that fancy stuff lol so i just choose a random constant and forgot what i labled it)

Yes i have four coefficients, which ended up pairing off. I got the result that the two tied up in the space -a<x<a were equal, and the two to the right and left of a, and negative a (respectivly) were equal.

Im not sure what you mean by transcendental equations, and i managed to solve directly not graphically, which is nice if i did it right :)

My solutions to the scrodinger equation looked like this: Bke^(-ka)-Cke^(ka)-Ake^-ka)=(-2mc)/h^2*(wavefn(-a)+wavefn(a)), (this was at -a). After i solved for the constants, i just chose one of my region specific functions, and plugged in -a and a respectivly for the values of wavefun(-a) and wavefun(a). and i also plugged in for the constants B,C,and A you see up there. This is what led to my energy value, because k=sqrt(-2mE)/h

Last edited:
And can someone tell me how to do the graphic equation writing. (lol no clue how to describe it)

The A^2=B^2 stuff in Gokul's post

Due thursday :)

Shock said:
And can someone tell me how to do the graphic equation writing. (lol no clue how to describe it)

The A^2=B^2 stuff in Gokul's post
Haven't read your earlier post yet...I'm still at work and have little time.

For LaTex formatting see : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Also, to see the code for what I've written, just click the text (in my post) and a pop-up will display the code used to generate that text.

Shock said:
Yes i have four coefficients, which ended up pairing off. I got the result that the two tied up in the space -a<x<a were equal
Are you sure equality is the only possibility you arrived at ? Like I said before, you should have gotten that their squares are equal. This gives rise to two possible solutions.

1. What is a Double Delta Function Potential?

A Double Delta Function Potential is a mathematical potential used in theoretical physics to model a localized repulsive force between particles. It consists of two delta functions, which are mathematical functions that have a value of zero everywhere except at one point, where they have an infinite value.

2. How is a Double Delta Function Potential used in physics?

Double Delta Function Potentials are used to model interactions between particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. They can also be used to model the behavior of atoms and molecules in condensed matter physics.

3. What are the properties of a Double Delta Function Potential?

A Double Delta Function Potential is symmetric, meaning that it is the same regardless of which particle is being affected. It is also a short-range potential, meaning it only has an effect on particles within a certain distance from each other.

4. What are some real-world applications of Double Delta Function Potentials?

Double Delta Function Potentials are used in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering and materials science to model interactions between atoms and molecules in different materials.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Double Delta Function Potentials?

One limitation of Double Delta Function Potentials is that they are only an approximation of real-world interactions between particles. They also do not take into account the effects of quantum tunneling, which can be important in certain systems. Additionally, they can be mathematically difficult to work with due to their infinite value at a single point.