Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Displacement Reaction

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    A single displacement reaction occurs when a more electropositive or electronegative atom replaces a less electropositive or electronegative atom from a molecule... right? I've been trying to use this philosophy for double displacement reactions but couldn't sort things out! can you help me in it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't want to use the electronegativity concepts for such a simple thing as single and double displacement reactions. In fact I advise you to avoid adhering to any philosophy in addition to learning chemistry.

Double displacement is similar to single displacement, except that now we have two whole compounds...in a sense, the displacment occurs because the formation of one of the products is favored, or you can simply say that a net ionic reaction occurs in aqueous solution upon dissolving each reactant compound, where the displacement products are either precipitated, non-ideal compounds (with respect to water, not solvated), acid base reaction, etc....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?