1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Displacement Reaction

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    A single displacement reaction occurs when a more electropositive or electronegative atom replaces a less electropositive or electronegative atom from a molecule... right? I've been trying to use this philosophy for double displacement reactions but couldn't sort things out! can you help me in it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't want to use the electronegativity concepts for such a simple thing as single and double displacement reactions. In fact I advise you to avoid adhering to any philosophy in addition to learning chemistry.

Double displacement is similar to single displacement, except that now we have two whole compounds...in a sense, the displacment occurs because the formation of one of the products is favored, or you can simply say that a net ionic reaction occurs in aqueous solution upon dissolving each reactant compound, where the displacement products are either precipitated, non-ideal compounds (with respect to water, not solvated), acid base reaction, etc....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?