Double Edge Wet Shaving - My Gear & Experience

• Thread starter Derek Francis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge Soap
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's current hobby of using a DE safety razor for shaving, which they believe provides long-term savings compared to disposable razors. They mention their specific setup, including a Merkur long-handle razor, Omega brush, and Razorock soap. They also mention trying different blades and post-shave products. The conversation concludes with a comment about sticking to a budget and slowly expanding their collection.
Derek Francis
A current hobby of mine. Long term savings in that a DE blade costs 10-30 cents compared to $1-4 disposable razors/cartridges. An initial purchase of a razor and brush together would cost no more than $40 on Amazon and they last a lifetime.

I've tried electric razors ; anything under $150 isn't good quality to me.

My current setup:

Brush: Omega 10098 Synthetic Boar (I'm currently looking into getting Semogues and a badger brush too)

Razor: Merkur Long Handle (Not sure if it's worth buying more razors)

Soap: Razorock XXX (I tried the Proraso's but like RR better. I want to try more soaps though)

Blades: Personna Med Prep, Feather, Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Lab Blue (I've tried dozens of blades and these are my top 5)

Post-Shave: Thayer's Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, Cetaphil Lotion

Physics news on Phys.org
I just use the hair clippers lying around here.
The ones I use now are 50 euros (I think) but they are also used to do my dad's hair (and mine before).

Lol, it's not a "long term savings" if it turns into a hobby where you start buying all kinds of different razors and shaving soaps and stuff. :P

That said, I do prefer the DE safety razor, because my skin is sensitive and those multi-blade contraptions irritate it. I use a Merkur long-handle safety razor, a fine badger brush, and unscented shaving soap which I got at the Art of Shaving. For blades I'm slowly working through a pack of 100 Wilkinson Swords.

That is true. I stick to a tight budget with this hobbies. Blades are cheap, no problem. I'm keeping the same razor. Soap I really only buy twice a year. I'll get another brush in the future but it's not a top priority now.

What is double edge wet shaving?

Double edge wet shaving is a method of shaving using a safety razor with a double-edged blade. It involves wetting the face with warm water, applying shaving cream or soap, and using short, controlled strokes to remove hair from the face.

What are the benefits of double edge wet shaving?

Double edge wet shaving has several benefits, including a closer and smoother shave, reduced irritation, and cost-effectiveness. It also allows for more control over the pressure and angle of the razor, resulting in a more comfortable and personalized shaving experience.

What equipment do I need for double edge wet shaving?

To start double edge wet shaving, you will need a safety razor, double-edged blades, a shaving brush, shaving cream or soap, and aftershave. Optional equipment includes a shaving bowl and stand. It is important to invest in high-quality equipment to achieve the best results.

How do I prepare for a double edge wet shave?

Before shaving, it is important to wash your face with warm water to soften the hair and open up pores. Next, apply a pre-shave oil or cream to further soften the hair and protect the skin. Finally, lather up your shaving cream or soap using a shaving brush and apply it to your face.

What is the technique for double edge wet shaving?

The technique for double edge wet shaving involves holding the razor at a 30-degree angle and using short, controlled strokes in the direction of hair growth. It is important to avoid applying too much pressure and to rinse the razor frequently. After shaving, rinse your face with cold water and apply aftershave to soothe the skin.

Back