Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Edge Wet Shaving

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    A current hobby of mine. Long term savings in that a DE blade costs 10-30 cents compared to $1-4 disposable razors/cartridges. An initial purchase of a razor and brush together would cost no more than $40 on Amazon and they last a lifetime.

I've tried electric razors ; anything under $150 isn't good quality to me.

My current setup:

Brush: Omega 10098 Synthetic Boar (I'm currently looking into getting Semogues and a badger brush too)

Razor: Merkur Long Handle (Not sure if it's worth buying more razors)

Soap: Razorock XXX (I tried the Proraso's but like RR better. I want to try more soaps though)

Blades: Personna Med Prep, Feather, Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Lab Blue (I've tried dozens of blades and these are my top 5)

Post-Shave: Thayer's Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, Cetaphil Lotion

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2
    I just use the hair clippers lying around here.
    The ones I use now are 50 euros (I think) but they are also used to do my dad's hair (and mine before).

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lol, it's not a "long term savings" if it turns into a hobby where you start buying all kinds of different razors and shaving soaps and stuff. :P

That said, I do prefer the DE safety razor, because my skin is sensitive and those multi-blade contraptions irritate it. I use a Merkur long-handle safety razor, a fine badger brush, and unscented shaving soap which I got at the Art of Shaving. For blades I'm slowly working through a pack of 100 Wilkinson Swords.

5. Mar 26, 2016 #4
    That is true. I stick to a tight budget with this hobbies. Blades are cheap, no problem. I'm keeping the same razor. Soap I really only buy twice a year. I'll get another brush in the future but it's not a top priority now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted