How do I correctly handle absolute value signs in double integral applications?

In summary: I think my problem is that I am only considering the region where x-y is positive. To account for both regions I need to integrate the absolute value of x-y.Hi Steve,Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I understand what you are doing now.
Stevecgz
Question:
At airports, departure gates are often lined up in a terminal like points along a line. If you arrive at one gate and proceed to another gate for a connecting flight, what proportion of the length of the terminal will you have to walk, on average?

One way to model this situation is to randomly choose two numbers, 0 <= x <= 1 and 0 <= y <= 1; and calculate the average value of |x - y|. Use a double integral to find the average distance you have to walk.

What I've done:
I approached this by trying finding the average value of |x - y| using a double integral with f(x,y) = |x - y|, D = {(x,y)|0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= 1}. When I solve this integral I get a value of zero. This intuitively makes sense since the average distance in the positive direction will equal the average distance in the negative direction, but it doesn't help me answer the question. I think my problem is that I am not treating the absolute value correctly. So my question is how do I treat the absolute value signs when solving this (or any other) integral?

Thanks,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Steve,

You are right to suspect that you aren't treating the absolute value right. The expression [tex] |x-y| [/tex] is always positive, so when you integrate it you can't get zero. Try breaking the integration up into two regions where x-y is either positive or negative. This will enable you to treat the absolute value in a simple way.

Physics Monkey said:
Hi Steve,

You are right to suspect that you aren't treating the absolute value right. The expression [tex] |x-y| [/tex] is always positive, so when you integrate it you can't get zero. Try breaking the integration up into two regions where x-y is either positive or negative. This will enable you to treat the absolute value in a simple way.

Thanks for the reply Physics Monkey,

Since |x - y| is negative above the line y = x, I set up the following integral:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{x}^{1} -(x - y) dydx + \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{x} (x - y) dydx[/tex]

When I evaluate the integral I get a value of 1/6, which seems reasonable for the question. Am I going about this correctly? Thanks.

Evaluating the integral again I see the value is actually 1/3, not 1/6.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in mathematics that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the integrand, and dA represents the area element.

2. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include finding areas and volumes of irregular shapes, calculating mass and center of mass, and determining probabilities in multivariate systems. They are also used in solving differential equations and in vector calculus.

3. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you need to determine the limits of integration, which define the boundaries of the region over which the function is being integrated. Then, you can use various methods such as iterated integrals, polar coordinates, or change of variables to simplify the integral and solve it.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of double integrals?

One example of a real-world application of double integrals is in calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object with varying density. In this case, the function being integrated would represent the density at each point in the object, and the double integral would give the total mass of the object.

5. How is a double integral related to a single integral?

A double integral is essentially the extension of a single integral to two dimensions. In other words, a single integral is a special case of a double integral, where the region being integrated over is one-dimensional. Additionally, double integrals can be evaluated using the same techniques as single integrals, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and substitution.