1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral boundaries.

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

D = {x>0, x^2 < y < 10-x^2)

compute

integral (integral D of y^2 sqrt x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble figuring out the bounds of the integral. y goes from x^2 to 10-x^2 but I think I have to split this integral up into two parts. I am not sure how to bound x. The parabolas intersect at the point sqrt 5

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2
    What do you mean probably at sqrt(5)? They intersect at two points

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    They intersect at (sqrt 5, 5) and (-sqrt 5, 5). x > 0 so we don't need the negative point.

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4
    Yes you got, it

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    So x goes from 0 to sqrt 5? thats the bound for x?

7. Nov 26, 2011 #6
    What do you think it should be? Let's put it this way, if it isn't x = 0, where would you start from? You mentioned splitting the integral, how do you plan to do that?

8. Nov 26, 2011 #7
    I guess I'm overthinking. It looks like x goes from 0 to x^2 and then stops when x reaches sqrt 5, then goes from 10-x^2 back to 0. This is just from the drawing I mean.

9. Nov 27, 2011 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, provided that you integrate over y first -- which, as you said, goes from x^2 to 10-x^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook