1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral circle limits

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate
    f(x,y)=y2[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]
    over the region
    x2+y2< 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

using x limits between -1 & 1 followed by the y limits of 0 & [itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]y2[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex].dy.dx

Evaluating this and multiplying be 2 to get the whole circle I get 0 as the 1 and -1 limits both give zero as the answer. Therefore I used the x limits of 0 & 1 and multiplied by 4 instead, this gave an answer of 4/9, however I have been given the answer of 32/45, and I have no idea how this could possibly be wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LASmith! :smile:
    Your intermediate integrand must be wrong. :redface:

Show us what you had inside the ∫ when it was just ∫ … dx​

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    [itex]\int[/itex] y3[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]/3 .dx

Then substituting the limits [itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex] and 0 for y I obtained

[itex]\int[/itex] (1-x2)2)/3 .dx

Limits between 0 and 1 for this final integral

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The set [itex]x^2+ y^2< 1[/itex] is the interior of a circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 1. That means that a diameter, on the x-axis, goes from -1 to 1, and on the y-axis, from -1 to 1. By taking y from 0 (the x-axis) up to [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] (the circle) and x from -1 to 1, you are only integrating over 1/2 of the circle.

Your y needs to go from the point where the vertical line crosses the circle below the x-axis to the point where it crosses the circle above the x-axis.

6. Jul 31, 2011 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

= ∫ (1 - 2x2 + x4)/3 dx …

how did you not get a factor 1/5 after integrating this? :confused:

7. Aug 1, 2011 #6
    Expanding the brackets and then integrating I obtained the correct answer, so thanks for that.

However, looking back I had no idea how I did not get a factor of 1/5, I did not expand out the brackets, and just used the chain rule to obtain
    (1-x2)3/-18x
    Then putting in the limits 0 and 1 gets the answer 0-0, out of curiosity how does this method not work?

8. Aug 1, 2011 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LASmith! :smile:
    Just try differentiating (1-x2)3/-18x …

you'd have to use both the chain rule and the product (or quotient) rule, and they don't cancel (why should they?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook