Double Integral Evaluation: Finding the Overlapping Area

In summary, the integral of y sin (x+y^2) dy is evaluated using the integral of y sin (x+y^2) dA and simplified to D = [1,2] x [1,2]. The definite integral is then -1/2(cos(x+y^2)) and the indefinite integral is -\frac{1}{2}cos(x+4)+\frac{1}{2}cos(x+1).
Kuma

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

integral D of y sin (x+y^2) dA where

D = [0x2] x [0x2] U [1,3] x [1,3]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So D is basically a square which simplifies to D = [1,2] x [1,2] since that is the portion of both rectangles that overlap.

So then my integral becomes

integral from 1 to 2 (integral from 1 to 2 of y sin (x+y^2) dy) dx

So the indefinite inner integral is:

-1/2(cos(x+y^2))

So here I am supposed to evaluate y at 2 and 1 right? If that's correct, I am getting a wrong answer for some odd reason I think. I'm using wolfram alpha to check and their answer for the inner integral is:

http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP46819i63f8i8617ih80000063597a8d4817fhid?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=41&w=259&h=36

Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay this is crazy, but, I think you're okay. Did you get [itex] -\frac{1}{2}cos(x+4)+\frac{1}{2}cos(x+1) [/itex] when you solved the definite by hand? That's what I got. Apparently (according to my calculator's compare function) this is equivalent to wolframs answer.

Yes that's what i got. Ok I guess I'll just use my calculator to compare the answers from now on to wolfram. Thanks!

Kuma said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

integral D of y sin (x+y^2) dA where

D = [0x2] x [0x2] U [1,3] x [1,3]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So D is basically a square which simplifies to D = [1,2] x [1,2] since that is the portion of both rectangles that overlap.
No, that is incorrect, assuming that the region is [0, 2] X [0, 2] U [1, 3] X [1, 3]. I don't know what [0x2] means.

If I understand what you meant to write, region D consists of the square [0, 2] X [0, 2] together with the square [1, 3] X [1, 3].

Yeah that was a typo. Thanks.

Just to be clear, D does NOT simplify to the square [1, 2] X [1, 2], which you said in your first post.

Hmm. Why is that? I drew out D and since its the intersection of the two rectangles given, the only overlapping portion is the square [1,2] x [1,2]. So isn't D the same thing as that?

You wrote the "union" of the two areas in your original post. If you meant intersection, its [itex]\bigcap[/itex]

Nevermind, you're right the question says union. I mistook it for intersection. My answer is wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

So then it is two rectangles with one overlapping portion. I guess the way to solve this is evaluate the integral of both the rectangles and subtract the overlapping portion?

Also I'm guessing both the rectangles should have the same area since they are the same size. So would i just be able to do 2x the integral of one of them to find both?

You can do 2x one rectangle and subtract the overlapping portion.

Or do each rectangle and subtract the overlapping portion. Since you already probably found the overlapping area, you're partly done! :)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface or volume between two given limits. It is represented by two integrals, one nested inside the other, and is often denoted by ∬.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

To evaluate a double integral, the limits of integration for both variables must be determined and the integrand must be expressed in terms of these variables. The integral is then solved by using the properties of integration, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral?

The main purpose of evaluating a double integral is to find the area or volume enclosed by a two-dimensional surface or volume. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as calculating the mass of an object or the flow of a fluid.

4. What are the different methods for evaluating a double integral?

There are several methods for evaluating a double integral, including the rectangular, polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinate systems. Each method is used depending on the shape of the region being integrated and the most convenient form of the integrand.

5. Can a double integral be approximated numerically?

Yes, a double integral can be approximated numerically using methods such as Riemann sums or Monte Carlo integration. These methods divide the region being integrated into smaller subregions and approximate the value of the integral by summing the contributions from each subregion.