1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral, find area

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    "Hey guys, how are you? I was studying for my calculus final and stumbled upon a peculiar function.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Now I have to find the area bounded by the function (x^2+y^2)^3=xy^4 using a double integral. Now, the problem is that the graph is totally unknown to me (I have some ideas but im not shure).

2. Relevant equations

(x^2+y^2)^3=xy^4

3. The attempt at a solution

A substitution with u and v, doesnt seem to work and going to polar doesnt work either :/ Maybe Im doing something wrong, I dont know. Can anybody help me? Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2
    Use polar coordinates.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    It doesnt seem to solve that way. Can you please write just the polar equation in this case?

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just as a matter of terminology: you do not have a "function; you have two functions and one equation connecting them (to form a curve). At first I had a lot of trouble trying to decipher your post.

Certainly, a judicious change of variables makes the problem pretty straightforward.

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5
    Two functions? Yes, but can the whole equation be plotted using the sepparate functions? Im sorry, but I really need to imagine the area of integration. And as for the change of variables, I was thinking u = x^2 + y^2, ok, but then?

7. Aug 29, 2013 #6
    I am attempting to do this problem, quick question just for clarity: is it x*y^4 of (x*y)^4?

8. Aug 29, 2013 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

It is read ##x*y^4##.

As for the problem, a simple change to polar co-ordinates is all that is needed.

9. Sep 10, 2013 #8
    Thank you everyone :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted