Double Integral Help - Problem 105 | UFL Math

In summary, the speaker is able to solve the problem if given a general equation, but is struggling with the concept of infinite boundaries. They provide a link to the problem and mention that the integral becomes trivial when the variable "a" is finite.
uday28fb
I can do this problem if they give a general equation, but the infinite boundaries are confusing me.

I don't know how to inert all the symbols so I'll link you to the problem. It's problem number 105 in the packet. http://www.math.ufl.edu/%7Ehuang/calc3/fall2007.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
uday28fb said:
I can do this problem if they give a general equation, but the infinite boundaries are confusing me.

I don't know how to inert all the symbols so I'll link you to the problem. It's problem number 105 in the packet. http://www.math.ufl.edu/%7Ehuang/calc3/fall2007.pdf

If you can do the integral when a is finite, you will see the rest is trivial. The term which depends on a goes to zero. The last integral squared gives you the first integral when a becomes infinite.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integration in mathematics that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a curved surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use one of several integration techniques, such as the rectangular, polar, or cylindrical methods, to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

Double integrals are used to calculate the area, volume, and other properties of two-dimensional regions. They are also important in applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. In other words, a single integral integrates over one variable, while a double integral integrates over two variables.

5. Can you provide an example problem of solving a double integral?

Yes, for example, to solve the double integral ∫0203 xy dxdy, you would first determine the limits of integration as 0 to 2 for x and 0 to 3 for y. Then, you would use the rectangular method to evaluate the integral, which would give you the answer of 9.