Double Integral Help: Reversing Order & Finding Limits

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a double integral by reversing the order of integration. The concept of upper and lower limits is explained, as well as the use of diagrams to understand the region of integration. The conversation ends with a request for help in understanding how to change the limits when reversing the order of integration.
haris13
∫u=3 and l=0 u= x and l= 0∫ (x2 + y2 )dydx

solve by reversing the order of integration. u and l means upper and lower limit. this is a double integral by the way. i don't understand how the limits are found when reversing the order and the idea of diagrams. please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you need to do the following integration by reversing the order of integration.

[tex]\int_0^3\int_0^x\,(x^2+y^2)\,dy\,dx [/tex]

Sketch the region in the xy-plane.

Then consider how you might cover the same region with the order reversed.

SammyS said:
I take it you need to do the following integration by reversing the order of integration.

[tex]\int_0^3\int_0^x\,(x^2+y^2)\,dy\,dx [/tex]

can you please help me with it. i have been trying to do it since last week. how do u change the limits with the order. that's my question. can you please explain for this particular question?

SammyS said:

haris13 said:
can you please help me with it. i have been trying to do it since last week. how do u change the limits with the order. that's my question. can you please explain for this particular question?

To repeat what SammyS said, sketch the region over which integration is being done. The limits of integration are x = 0 to x = 3, and y = 0 to y = x. What does this region in the plane look like?

thanks alot..i got it :)

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that is used to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function over a region in a plane, and is represented by the symbol ∫∫.

Why do we need to reverse the order of integration in double integrals?

Reversing the order of integration in a double integral can make the calculation easier or more manageable. It allows us to integrate the inner function first, which may be simpler than integrating the outer function first. It also helps to avoid using complicated limits of integration.

How do we determine the limits of integration in a double integral?

The limits of integration in a double integral depend on the region over which we are integrating. We can determine these limits by drawing a diagram of the region and identifying the boundaries of the region in terms of the variables of integration. Then, we can set up the limits of integration based on these boundaries.

Can we always reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

No, we cannot always reverse the order of integration in a double integral. This is because the limits of integration may not allow for it, or the resulting integral may be more complicated to evaluate. It is important to carefully consider the limits and the integrand before deciding whether or not to reverse the order of integration.

How can we check if our double integral is correct?

We can check the correctness of a double integral by evaluating it using both the original and reversed order of integration. If the two results are the same, then the integral is likely correct. We can also use software or graphing calculators to visualize the region and the resulting volume, which can help to confirm the accuracy of the calculation.