1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral help

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    ∫u=3 and l=0 u= x and l= 0∫ (x2 + y2 )dydx

solve by reversing the order of integration. u and l means upper and lower limit. this is a double integral by the way. i dont understand how the limits are found when reversing the order and the idea of diagrams. please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I take it you need to do the following integration by reversing the order of integration.

[tex]\int_0^3\int_0^x\,(x^2+y^2)\,dy\,dx [/tex]

Sketch the region in the xy-plane.

Then consider how you might cover the same region with the order reversed.

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    can you please help me with it. i have been trying to do it since last week. how do u change the limits with the order. thats my question. can you please explain for this particular question?

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To repeat what SammyS said, sketch the region over which integration is being done. The limits of integration are x = 0 to x = 3, and y = 0 to y = x. What does this region in the plane look like?

6. Aug 10, 2011 #5
    thanks alot..i got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook