1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral Help

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the region bounded by the elliptic paraboloid [tex]z = 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2[/tex] and the plane z = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure where to start with this. This is how they've set it up:

[tex]4 \int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{2 \sqrt{4 - x^2}} \left( 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2 \right) dy dx[/tex]

Looking at the graph hasn't helped me understand how they got this. How did they set the integral up in this way?

I can see that they've got that upper limit of 2*sqrt(4 - x^2) by letting z = 0 and finding y in terms of x. But I haven't the faintest idea why they're integrating from 0 to 2 next, nor why they are multiplying the whole thing by 4... any help?

I would guess that the multiplying by 4 is due to the symmetry of the surface, but I don't understand anything else.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 4 in front of the double integral tells you that the integral itself covers one quadrant of the total volume.

You are given a function f(x,y) = z and are told to find the volume occupied between the plane z = 0 (which is the x-y plane) and f(x,y) = 0. This is analogous in 2-D geometry to finding the area under a parabola y = x^2 and y = 0 between two values of x.

The problem has been pre-digested for your convenience. All you have to do is turn the crank on evaluating the double integral.

To find the range of x values for the elliptic paraboloid, set y and z = 0 and solve for x.

As always, a sketch can illuminate greatly.

The problem has been pre-digested for your convenience. All you have to dois turn the crank on evaluating the double integral.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. Jul 4, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Ah that makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted