1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral in polar form

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1
    i have the integral [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} (-x^2-y^2) \ dx dy[/tex]
    (double integral with both limits the same....assuming my first bash at the tex comes out

it says to transfer it into polar form and evaluate it

i have no idea how to convert a limit of infinity to polar form, help please

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Really? Your instructor has given you this problem without the slightest indication of what polar coordinates are? What an evil person! And you text book doesn't have anything about the "differential of area" in polar coordinates?? Are you sure you are reading it correctly?

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3
    no, we have gone over polar co-ordinates, but never with an integration limit of infinity so i have no idea how to convert the limit to evaluate it

5. Mar 9, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Make a skech of the integration area for x and y.
    How can you cover the same area in polar coördinates?

6. Mar 9, 2006 #5
    how do you sketch the area of x or y to infinity though?

7. Mar 9, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you serious? x going from 0 to [itex]\infty[/tex] and y going from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex] means that x and y may take on all non-negative values- the first quadrant. Now, what do r and [itex]\theta[/itex] range over in the first quadrant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?