Double integral limits after mapping

In summary, we have a double integral problem with the area D, which is transformed into "E" in polar coordinates. "E" represents a circular region with a radius of 1/2 and centered at (1/2,0). The limits for "E" are r from 0 to 1/2 and θ from 0 to π/2. To write Latex here, use the dollar sign ($) to enclose your Latex code. Good luck!
nickthegreek
I have the double integral,

∫∫sqrt(x^2+y^2) dxdy, and the area D:((x,y);(x^2+y^2)≤ x)

By completing the squares in D we get that D is a circle with origo at (1/2,0), and radius 1/2. Then I tried changing the variables to x=r cosθ+1/2, y=r sinθ and J(r,θ)=r which leads to a not so nice integrand, and stop.

By changing to polar coordinates directly we get that D transforms into E:((r,θ);r^2≤ r cosθ)) which obv equals r≤cosθ, and the integrand r^3, which is nice. Now to my question. What do I know of "E"? What would it look like? What´s the limits?

Ps. How do I write Latex here?
edit, Ooops, wrong part of the forum? Sry, ill post in the textbook-style problem-part instead...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving this double integral problem. It seems like you have made some good progress by completing the squares and transforming the variables to polar coordinates. Let me address your questions:

1. What do we know about "E" and what would it look like?

"E" represents the transformed area in polar coordinates, which is the same as the original area D. In this case, "E" is a circular region with a radius of 1/2 and centered at (1/2,0). This can be visualized as a quarter of a circle, with the origin at the center and the radius extending from the origin to the outer edge of the circle.

2. What are the limits for "E"?

The limits for "E" would be r from 0 to 1/2 and θ from 0 to π/2. This is because the radius of the circle is 1/2 and the angle θ ranges from 0 to π/2 as we move from the positive x-axis to the positive y-axis.

3. How do I write Latex here?

To write Latex here, you can use the dollar sign ($) to enclose your Latex code. For example, to write x^2, you can use $x^2$ and it will appear as x^2 in your post.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Good luck with your problem-solving!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves finding the area under a surface or a volume between two surfaces in a three-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to calculate the total value of a function over a region in a two-dimensional coordinate system.

2. What are limits in a double integral?

Limits in a double integral are the boundaries of the region over which the integral is being calculated. They determine the range of values for the independent variables (usually x and y) and help define the region of integration.

3. Why do we need to map the limits in a double integral?

Mapping the limits in a double integral is necessary when the region of integration is not a simple rectangular or circular shape. It involves using a change of variables to transform the integral into a simpler form, making it easier to evaluate.

4. How do we map the limits in a double integral?

Mapping the limits in a double integral involves using a transformation function to convert the original coordinates of the region of integration into new coordinates. These new coordinates should result in a simpler region of integration, such as a rectangle or a circle.

5. What are some common transformations used for mapping limits in a double integral?

Some common transformations used for mapping limits in a double integral include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These transformations are often used when the region of integration has circular or spherical symmetry.