Double integral ( and checking)

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation involving a double integral. First, they found the limits for x and y. They then separated the integral into two parts, one for x and one for y, and solved them separately.
vintwc

Homework Statement

Let Ω ⊂ R^2 be the parallelogram with vertices at (1,0), (3,-1), (4,0) and (2,1). Evaluate ∫∫_Ω e^x dxdy.

Hint: It may be helpful to transform the integral by a suitable (affine) linear change of variables.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here is what I have done:
From the sketch of the parallelogram, I have found the limits to be x=y+1 to (4-2y) and y=-1 to 1. With this, I am able to determine the solution of the integral which is 3/2*e^2 -1 -1/2*e^6.

Could anyone please verify this for me? Also, if my solution turns out to be right, how would I approach the hint to find the solution of this double integral? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand, you need to separate the parallelogram into two areas when you calculate this double integral.
What you did was that you took only the upper part of the parallelogram .

you have 4 different sides which you have to take into account.

I think this is how you need to do it...

Right, so should my integral look like as follows?

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=4-2y to y+1, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to y+4, y=-1 to 0

vintwc said:
Right, so should my integral look like as follows?

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=4-2y to y+1, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to y+4, y=-1 to 0

I think it should be this:

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=y+1 to 4-2y, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to 3y+4, y=-1 to 0

Roni1985 said:
I think it should be this:

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=y+1 to 4-2y, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to 3y+4, y=-1 to 0

You are right for the limits of x but I think the y limits should be the way I first wrote it? Did you calculate the gradient wrongly? Btw, thanks for your help so far.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that allows you to calculate the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by a curved "S" symbol and involves integrating a function over a defined region in the x-y plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. This means that a double integral involves integrating two variables, while a single integral only involves one variable.

3. What is the purpose of checking a double integral?

Checking a double integral involves evaluating the integral in multiple ways to ensure that the results are consistent and accurate. This is important because it helps to catch any calculation errors and ensures that the final answer is correct.

4. How do you check a double integral using the Fubini's theorem?

Fubini's theorem states that if a double integral can be expressed as an iterated integral (where the inner integral is with respect to one variable and the outer integral is with respect to the other variable), then the order of integration can be changed without affecting the final result. Checking a double integral using this theorem involves evaluating the integral in both orders and comparing the results to ensure they are the same.

5. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are commonly used to calculate volumes and areas in real-world scenarios, such as in engineering, economics, and probability. They are also used in solving differential equations, finding the center of mass of irregularly shaped objects, and determining moments of inertia.