1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double integral (need help and checking)

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ω ⊂ R^2 be the parallelogram with vertices at (1,0), (3,-1), (4,0) and (2,1). Evaluate ∫∫_Ω e^x dxdy.

Hint: It may be helpful to transform the integral by a suitable (affine) linear change of variables.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok here is what I have done:
    From the sketch of the parallelogram, I have found the limits to be x=y+1 to (4-2y) and y=-1 to 1. With this, I am able to determine the solution of the integral which is 3/2*e^2 -1 -1/2*e^6.

Could anyone please verify this for me? Also, if my solution turns out to be right, how would I approach the hint to find the solution of this double integral? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    From what I understand, you need to separate the parallelogram into two areas when you calculate this double integral.
    What you did was that you took only the upper part of the parallelogram .

you have 4 different sides which you have to take into account.

I think this is how you need to do it...

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Right, so should my integral look like as follows?

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=4-2y to y+1, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to y+4, y=-1 to 0

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4
    I think it should be this:

∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=y+1 to 4-2y, y=0 to 1 + ∫∫ e^x dxdy with x=1-2y to 3y+4, y=-1 to 0

6. Feb 21, 2010 #5
    You are right for the limits of x but I think the y limits should be the way I first wrote it? Did you calculate the gradient wrongly? Btw, thanks for your help so far.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook