1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral of e^-y

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du[/tex]

where u and v are just "dummy variables"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du = \int^x_0 -e^{-y} + e^{-x} du = (-e^{-y} + e^{-x})x[/tex]

have I made a mistake somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Everything looks fine don't forget your integration constant after ;)

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    It's for determining a CDF. I don't think I need the constant.

A classmate got x(1 - e-y). Did they use somesort of trick to get it, or is their answer just wrong?

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

That's very wrong. First of all there has to be at least 2 exponentials, perhaps they just forgot their [tex]e^{-x}[/tex]

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    Well, that cleared that up.

Thanks.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    Got another question.

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du [/tex] This case is when 0<x<y

If I want to do 0 < y < x, would the double integral be set up in the following way:

[tex]\int^x_0\int^x_y e^{-v} dv du [/tex] ?

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Hmm before I go into any discussion, are you integrating backwards?? Or are you trying to change the order of integration? If you are changing the order I would say this:

You're changing the order of integration. Lets say your limits are [tex]y=x^2[/tex] from 0 < x 6 bounded by y=0 and you are doing the dy dx order or integration then you would have to do
    [tex]\int^{6}_{0} \int^{x^2}_{0} dy dx[/tex] (from top to bottom, left to right)

Now say you want to change the order, that is, from dx dy, you would have to write y in terms of x and do your integration that way, i.e.

[tex]\int^{36}_{0} \int^{6}_{\sqrt{x}} dx dy[/tex] (from left to right, bottom to top)

if not just ignore it and let me know what you mean

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8
    I'm trying to find the CDF of e^-y.

The cdf of any f(x,y) is [tex]\int^x_{-\infty} \int^y_{-\infty} f(u,v) dv du[/tex]

where u and v are just dummy variables. I need to consider 2 cases: 1) 0<x<y and 2) 0 < y < x. In other words I need to do 2 double integrals using the general set up of a CDF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook