How to Calculate the CDF of e^-y Using Double Integrals?

In summary, the given conversation discusses the integration of a double integral with dummy variables, specifically for determining a CDF. The correct answer is (-e^{-y} + e^{-x})x, with the integration constant not needed. The classmate's answer of x(1 - e^-y) is incorrect as there should be at least 2 exponentials. There is a discussion about changing the order of integration in the case of 0 < x < y and 0 < y < x, with the general setup for a CDF being \int^x_{-\infty} \int^y_{-\infty} f(u,v) dv du, where u and v are dummy variables.
cse63146

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du[/tex]

where u and v are just "dummy variables"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du = \int^x_0 -e^{-y} + e^{-x} du = (-e^{-y} + e^{-x})x[/tex]

have I made a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks fine don't forget your integration constant after ;)

It's for determining a CDF. I don't think I need the constant.

A classmate got x(1 - e-y). Did they use somesort of trick to get it, or is their answer just wrong?

That's very wrong. First of all there has to be at least 2 exponentials, perhaps they just forgot their [tex]e^{-x}[/tex]

Well, that cleared that up.

Thanks.

Got another question.

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du [/tex] This case is when 0<x<y

If I want to do 0 < y < x, would the double integral be set up in the following way:

[tex]\int^x_0\int^x_y e^{-v} dv du [/tex] ?

Hmm before I go into any discussion, are you integrating backwards?? Or are you trying to change the order of integration? If you are changing the order I would say this:

You're changing the order of integration. Let's say your limits are [tex]y=x^2[/tex] from 0 < x 6 bounded by y=0 and you are doing the dy dx order or integration then you would have to do
[tex]\int^{6}_{0} \int^{x^2}_{0} dy dx[/tex] (from top to bottom, left to right)

Now say you want to change the order, that is, from dx dy, you would have to write y in terms of x and do your integration that way, i.e.

[tex]\int^{36}_{0} \int^{6}_{\sqrt{x}} dx dy[/tex] (from left to right, bottom to top)

if not just ignore it and let me know what you mean

I'm trying to find the CDF of e^-y.

The cdf of any f(x,y) is [tex]\int^x_{-\infty} \int^y_{-\infty} f(u,v) dv du[/tex]

where u and v are just dummy variables. I need to consider 2 cases: 1) 0<x<y and 2) 0 < y < x. In other words I need to do 2 double integrals using the general set up of a CDF.

1. What is the definition of a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that allows for calculating the area under a two-dimensional surface. It is essentially the combination of two single integrals, with one variable being integrated with respect to the other variable.

2. How is the double integral of e^-y calculated?

The double integral of e^-y can be calculated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables, typically denoted as x and y. Then, the integrand (e^-y in this case) is multiplied by the differential of both variables, dx and dy, and the integration is performed using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the significance of e^-y in a double integral?

The function e^-y represents the exponential decay of a quantity, where the rate of decay is proportional to the current value. In the context of a double integral, it can represent the height or value of a surface at a given point, and the integral itself can give the total area under the surface.

4. How is the double integral of e^-y used in real-life applications?

The double integral of e^-y has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it can be used to calculate the potential energy of a system, while in engineering it can be used to determine the moment of inertia of a solid object. In economics, it can be used to model the decay of assets over time.

5. Are there any special properties or rules for calculating the double integral of e^-y?

Yes, there are several properties and rules that can make calculating the double integral of e^-y easier. For example, the integral of e^-y with respect to y is simply -e^-y, and this can be used to simplify the integration process. Additionally, the order of integration can be interchanged without changing the result, which can be helpful in certain situations.