Double integral of product of Diracs

In summary, the problem is that the demo is missing a step that's needed to prove the second equation.
juriguen
Hi there!

I am having a bit of a trouble when I try to work out a demonstration involving Dirac delta functions. I know, they are not real functions, and all that, but it only makes my life more difficult :)

Lets begin by the beginning to see if anyone can help. The first equation I will write I think comes straight from the definition of the Dirac distribution:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \delta(t-nT) \mathrm{d}t = f(nT)
[/tex]

Ok, so far so good. But now I want to evaluate a more complicated expression:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} f(nT) g(nT)
[/tex]

I guess, there should be no problem to rewrite each sampled function by means of the integral involving the Dirac distribution, so that the equation becomes:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} f(nT) g(nT) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \delta(t-nT) \mathrm{d}t \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(\tau) \delta(\tau-nT) \mathrm{d}\tau
[/tex]

But now it comes when I don't know how to continue. For me the following demonstration would be just right, but the result is quite surprising:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} f(nT) g(nT) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(\tau) \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} \delta(t-nT) \delta(\tau-nT) \mathrm{d}t \mathrm{d}\tau = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(\tau) \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} \delta(t-\tau) \mathrm{d}t \mathrm{d}\tau = N \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) g(t) \mathrm{d}t
[/tex]

There's almost definitely something wrong there, since I believe the above result should only hold in the limit when N tends to infinity. I say this because the equality basically resembles the interpretation of the integral as a Riemann sum.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Jose

Physics news on Phys.org
The key step that's incorrect should be you replace:

[tex]F_1=\delta (t-n T)\delta (\tau -n T)[/tex]

with

[tex]F_2=\delta (t-\tau )[/tex]

Clearly, [tex]F_1[/tex] is non-zero when both [tex]t = n T[/tex] and [tex]\tau = n T[/tex]. Though it is true that [tex]t = \tau[/tex], but you missed [tex]t = n T[/tex].

There is a second problem as well. A product of delta functions won't be equal to a single delta function.

Thanks for the answer ross_tang. I suspected that was the wrong step. However, how would the demonstration continue otherwise?

Ok, I found my answer. Anyone who may want to continue posting is welcome, since the problem is interesting on its own (at least for me). But the above demo is an intermediate step for another proof which, in fact, is not needed. The one I did have to prove was the following:

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} f(nT) g^{*}(nT) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} \left( \sum_{k} \hat{f}(k) \mathrm{e}^{j2\pi kn\frac{T}{\tau}} \right) \left( \sum_{k'} \hat{g}^{*}(k') \mathrm{e}^{-j2\pi k'n\frac{T}{\tau}} \right) = \sum_{k} \hat{f}(k) \sum_{k} \hat{g}^{*}(k') N\delta_{k,k'} = N \sum_{k} \hat{f}(k)\hat{g}^{*}(k)
[/tex]

where the first step holds only for periodic functions (which is my case), and the last is true when tau=NT, which is my case too!

Last edited:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume between a 3-dimensional surface and a 2-dimensional plane. It is essentially the sum of infinitely small rectangles under a surface, and can be thought of as a way to measure the area under a curve in two dimensions.

2. What is the product of Diracs?

The product of Diracs is a mathematical function that is used to describe the probability distribution of a point mass or impulse. It is often used in physics and engineering to model particles with no size but with finite mass and charge.

3. How do you calculate a double integral of product of Diracs?

The calculation of a double integral of product of Diracs involves first setting up the integral using the appropriate limits and variables, and then evaluating the integral using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the Dirac delta function and understand how it affects the integral.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals of product of Diracs?

Double integrals of product of Diracs have various applications in physics, engineering, and probability theory. Some examples include calculating the electric potential of a charged wire, finding the center of mass of a 3-dimensional object, and determining the probability of a particle being in a certain position in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integrals of product of Diracs?

While double integrals of product of Diracs can be a useful tool in many mathematical and scientific applications, there are some limitations to consider. One limitation is that the Dirac delta function is not defined at the point where it is equal to zero, so special care must be taken when integrating over this point. Additionally, the use of Dirac delta functions can sometimes lead to non-physical or unrealistic solutions, so it is important to carefully consider the results and their interpretations.