How do you solve the double integral of xe^(xy) bounded by x=0, y=1, x^2-y=0?

In summary: We can try to find a numerical approximation using the Maclaurin series.In summary, the double integral of xe^(xy) is not integrable in terms of elementary functions, but it can be approximated using the Maclaurin series.
stanford1463
How do you solve the double integral of xe^(xy)? bounded by x=0, y=1, x^2-y=0. I used both x-simple and y-simple methods but neither worked..I don't know what the limits are...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can set up the integral like this for dy dx order...

[tex]\int_0^1\int_{x^2}^1xe^{xy} dy dx [/tex]

Give that a try.

Cool, thanks! I used dy dx order, but cannot find out what the integral of e^(x^3) is..Is it possible?

Well an integral like that is not going to be integrable in terms of elementary functions. I know that something like...

[tex]\int e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

is an integral that is a gaussian distribution which you can find in a table but that's the closest thing I can think of to the integral you mentioned.

Sometimes it happens, that writing an iterated integral in some order leads into difficult integrals, while writing it in some other order leads into easy integrals. So one should always simply go through different ways of writing the iterated integral. In this case it seems that integrating over x and y in other order doesn't make it easier though... (if I tried it right) so I don't know what to do there.

One alternative is to leave the number

[tex]
\int\limits_0^1 dx\; e^{x^3} \in \mathbb{R}
[/tex]

in the solution like that.

Well, I did the dy dx order that you mentioned, and the answer came out to be e-1-int (e^(x^3)) (sorry don't know latex). So, I do not know how to solve the integral, from 0 to 1..thanks

^ that above post was for jeffreydk, and for jostpuur, yes I tried both methods, neither worked out. The original problem wanted the volume under f(x,y)=xe^(xy), over region bounded by x=0, y=1, x^2-y=0...so Idk what is wrong.

One idea is to write the integral as an integral of 1 over a subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex].

This is very interesting, because if we get a solution to the original problem, it also gives the precise value of the integral of e^(x^3) over [0,1] in a more explicit form :wink:

Yea that integral is messy. I tried to get a numerical integration of the entire double integral you wanted and it's complex; I get

[tex]\int_0^1\int_{x^2}^1xe^{xy} dy dx = 0.376377+ (3.9255\times 10^{-16})\imath[/tex]

jeffreydk said:
Yea that integral is messy. I tried to get a numerical integration of the entire double integral you wanted and it's complex; I get

[tex]\int_0^1\int_{x^2}^1xe^{xy} dy dx = 0.376377+ (3.9255\times 10^{-16})\imath[/tex]

This numerical evaluation doesn't look quite complete :biggrin: You should continue with equation [tex]10^{-16} = 0[/tex] next. :wink:

stanford1463, how did you encounter this task? Is this exercise in some book? I have difficulty believing that this would have been put into a book, because that seriously doesn't look like a kind of integral one could actually calculate.

Or well... since the integration domain is bounded, one way to carry out the integration is to use Taylor series of the integrand, but I'm not sure if having the result in form of series, whose value we don't know in more explicit form, would be any better than having it in a form of integral (whose value is not known in more explicit form).

Well, anyway, like this:

[tex]
\int\limits_0^1 dx\; e^{x^3} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}\frac{1}{3n+1}
[/tex]

?

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the help! Turns out it was a coincidental error by my teacher, who made up this problem.

What is the definition of a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to find the volume, mass, and other physical quantities in physics and engineering.

What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral of xe^xy?

The double integral of xe^xy is often used to find the expected value of a function in probability and statistics. It is also used in economics and finance to calculate the expected return on an investment.

How do you solve a double integral of xe^xy?

The double integral of xe^xy can be solved by first evaluating the inner integral with respect to one variable, and then integrating the result with respect to the other variable. This can be done using techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

What is the relationship between the double integral of xe^xy and the single integral of e^x?

The double integral of xe^xy is equivalent to taking the single integral of e^x with respect to y, and then integrating the resulting expression with respect to x. This shows the connection between the two operations and how they can be used to solve different types of problems.

What are some real-life applications of the double integral of xe^xy?

The double integral of xe^xy has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, the volume of a solid of revolution, or the expected value of a financial asset. It is also used in fields like image processing, where it can be used to find the average color intensity of an image.