Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral over circle

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    So I have to use the type I type II region formula to find the volume under the equation (2x-y) and over the circular domain with center (0,0) and radius 2. Do I have to split this circle into hemispheres and treat it as 2 type I domains? I got the following limits for the top half, but I get stuck when integrating:

y limits:
    Upper: Sqrt(2 - x^2) from the equation 2 = y^2 + x^2
    Lower: 0

X limits:
    Upper: 2
    Lower: -2

So I have to find the integral with respect to y of 2x-y with limits 0 to Sqrt[2-x^2]

After integrating with respect to Y I got:

2x(Sqrt[2-x^2]) - 1 + (x^2)/2

Is this correct to start with? Then integrate with respect to x from -2 to 2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Shaybay92! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Can you please clarify the question? :confused:

Are you trying to find a 2D area, or a 3D volume?

By "the equation (2x-y)" do you mean the line (or plane) with 2x-y = 0?

If so, isn't this just the area of a semi-circle (or the volume of a hemisphere)?

(I'm not familiar with the "type and I type II" classification, but it looks like you need to use the area or volume under 2x-y=0 separately from the area or volume of the cap that's "clear" of 2x-y=0)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook