1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral parallelogram

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ω ⊂ R^2 be the parallelogram with vertices at (1,0), (3,-1), (4,0) and (2,1). Evaluate ∫∫_Ω e^x dxdy.

Hint: It may be helpful to transform the integral by a suitable (affine) linear change of variables.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok here is what I have done:
    From the sketch of the parallelogram, I have found the limits to be x=y+1 to (4-2y) and y=-1 to 1. With this, I am able to determine the solution of the integral which is 3/2*e^2 -1 -1/2*e^6.

Could anyone please verify this for me? Also, if my solution turns out to be right, how would I approach the hint to find the solution of this double integral? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sides of your parallogram are not parallel to the coordinate axes and you would have to break up the integrals into two parts; you can't go from y = -1 to 1 in one swoop. The sides of your parallelogram are of the form x - y = constants and x + 2y = constants. So if you want to transform your problem into one with constant limits you might want to consider the transformation:

u = x - y
    v = x + 2y

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook