1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral problem

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    I'm supposed to prove that

[tex]\int\int_{S}^{}\ f(ax + by + c) \, dA \ =2 \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1 - u^2} f(u\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} + c) \, du[/tex]

Where S is the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 1. It is also given that a^2 + b^2 is not zero

I can´t use polar coordinates and I can´t see how you simplify the surface S in any other way. What is the change of variable and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be pretty clear from the formula what the change of variables should be, right? u*sqrt(a^2+b^2)+c=ax+by+c. So in vector terms u=(a,b).(x,y)/|(a,b)|. u is the dot product of (x,y) with the normalization of the vector (a,b). It's just a rotation of the unit disk so that f is a function only of u. Does that help?

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3
    I thought about that, it's sort of obvious, but then I can´t see what the other substitution is, that is

u = u(x,y)
    v = v(x,y)

Now I know what to substitute for u, but not v.

5. Mar 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Set v to be the dot product of (x,y) with a unit vector perpendicular to (a,b)/|(a,b)|. How about (-b,a)/|(a,b)|?

6. Mar 13, 2008 #5
    WOw this works. I don´t really understand why. What do you mean that it is a rotation of the unit disk? What does that even mean? Normalization of the vector (a,b)?

How did you know the other parameter should be perpendicular to the first one?

I think you are parametrizing the functions with vectors, but can you treat the variables x and y as regular vectors like i,j and k?

7. Mar 13, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function f is constant along lines that are parallel to the line ax+by=0 (lines ax+by=C for C a constant). If you don't want to work with vectors and dot products then you can just make a choice of (u,v) by rotating (x,y) so that f is constant along one of those directions. A rotation looks like u=x*cos(t)-y*sin(t), v=x*sin(t)+y*cos(t), right? So a clever choice of angle t is the direction of the line ax+by=0. This means tan(t)=-a/b. If that's tan(t) then sin(t)=b/sqrt(a^2+b^2), cos(t)=-a/sqrt(a^2+b^2). If you start working this stuff out, you'll see you are lead back to the same transformation we've been talking about. I may have some details wrong, like getting u and v backwards, but you get the idea, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?