Transforming a Double Integral with Constant Function Along Parallel Lines

In summary: The function f is constant along lines that are parallel to the line ax+by=0 (lines ax+by=C for C a constant). If you don't want to work with vectors and dot products then you can just make a choice of (u,v) by rotating (x,y) so that f is constant along one of those directions. A rotation looks like u=x*cos(t)-y*sin(t), v=x*sin(t)+y*cos(t), right? So a clever choice of angle t is the direction of the line ax+by=0. This means tan(t)=-a/b. If that's tan(t) then sin(t)=
naggy
I'm supposed to prove that

[tex]\int\int_{S}^{}\ f(ax + by + c) \, dA \ =2 \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1 - u^2} f(u\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} + c) \, du[/tex]

Where S is the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 1. It is also given that a^2 + b^2 is not zero

I can´t use polar coordinates and I can´t see how you simplify the surface S in any other way. What is the change of variable and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be pretty clear from the formula what the change of variables should be, right? u*sqrt(a^2+b^2)+c=ax+by+c. So in vector terms u=(a,b).(x,y)/|(a,b)|. u is the dot product of (x,y) with the normalization of the vector (a,b). It's just a rotation of the unit disk so that f is a function only of u. Does that help?

Dick said:
It should be pretty clear from the formula what the change of variables should be, right? u*sqrt(a^2+b^2)+c=ax+by+c. So in vector terms u=(a,b).(x,y)/|(a,b)|. u is the dot product of (x,y) with the normalization of the vector (a,b). It's just a rotation of the unit disk so that f is a function only of u. Does that help?

I thought about that, it's sort of obvious, but then I can´t see what the other substitution is, that is

u = u(x,y)
v = v(x,y)

Now I know what to substitute for u, but not v.

Set v to be the dot product of (x,y) with a unit vector perpendicular to (a,b)/|(a,b)|. How about (-b,a)/|(a,b)|?

Dick said:
Set v to be the dot product of (x,y) with a unit vector perpendicular to (a,b)/|(a,b)|. How about (-b,a)/|(a,b)|?

WOw this works. I don´t really understand why. What do you mean that it is a rotation of the unit disk? What does that even mean? Normalization of the vector (a,b)?

How did you know the other parameter should be perpendicular to the first one?

I think you are parametrizing the functions with vectors, but can you treat the variables x and y as regular vectors like i,j and k?

The function f is constant along lines that are parallel to the line ax+by=0 (lines ax+by=C for C a constant). If you don't want to work with vectors and dot products then you can just make a choice of (u,v) by rotating (x,y) so that f is constant along one of those directions. A rotation looks like u=x*cos(t)-y*sin(t), v=x*sin(t)+y*cos(t), right? So a clever choice of angle t is the direction of the line ax+by=0. This means tan(t)=-a/b. If that's tan(t) then sin(t)=b/sqrt(a^2+b^2), cos(t)=-a/sqrt(a^2+b^2). If you start working this stuff out, you'll see you are lead back to the same transformation we've been talking about. I may have some details wrong, like getting u and v backwards, but you get the idea, right?

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area between a surface and a plane by integrating over a two-dimensional region.

2. What are the different types of double integral problems?

There are two main types of double integral problems: double integrals over rectangular regions and double integrals over non-rectangular regions.

3. How do you solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you can use the appropriate integration techniques, such as the Fubini's theorem or changing the order of integration, to evaluate the integral.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integral problems?

Double integral problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a solid object, the mass of a two-dimensional shape, or the average value of a function over a specific region.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral problem include mixing up the order of integration, not considering the limits of integration carefully, and forgetting to account for any symmetry in the problem. It is also important to check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.