Evaluate Double Integral Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral \int\int e^x^2 dx dy with bounds for the inner integral going from y to 1 and the bounds for the outer integral going from 0 to 1. The conversation includes confusion about the notation e^x^2 and the discussion of switching the order of integration to solve the problem. It is determined that the integral simplifies to an elementary integral after making a substitution.
goatsebear

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] e^x^2 dx dy.

The bounds for the inner integral go from y to 1
The bounds for the outer integral go from 0 to 1
2. The attempt at a solution

I can easily do this, I just do not see how I can get e^x^2 to integrate for x. Is there some sort of special method to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean (e^x)^2 or e^(x^2)? The answer is quite different depending.

Honestly, I can't tell. Its a take home test and the subscript goes:

e^x^2. Looks to me like its e^(x^2) so that's how I'm going to solve it.

In that case it's trouble. e^(x^2) doesn't have an elementary antiderivative. (e^x)^2=e^(2x) does. Somebody should pay better attention to putting parentheses into problems to clarify them.

Alright well I guess I'll just have to email my professor and ask him to clarify it.

Okay so I talked to my professor and you can actually do this problem. It has something to do with switching the boundaries. Like instead of having it dxdy, make it dydx and change the boundaries of the integrals using the graph of the region.

Since the region is a right triangle with the hypotenuse going from (0,0) to (1,1), I believe that the boundaries go as follows: 0 < x < 1 and x<y<1 where the < are less than greater than.

So that would make the problem go as follows:

Integrating e^x^2 in terms of y gives (y*e^x^2 ). Then plugging in boundaries is where I get stuck again. I'm not totally sure if my new boundaries are right.

Write either e^(x^2) or (e^x)^2 depending on what you mean, ok? e^x^2 doesn't mean anything. Sure you can interchange integration order etc. The only problem with doing it is if you interpret the integrand as e^(x^2). I thought that was what you were going to clarify with your professor?

f(x, y) = ex2 is constant in y. Switching the order of integration gives us the integral:
[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^x e^{x^2} dy dx[/tex]
This simplifies easily, as you grab an x from the limits of integration. The resulting integral is elementary.

Last edited:
To be honest seeing as it's very easy to work out an answer if it's

1:[tex]\int_0^1\int_y^1 (e^x)^2\; dx[/tex]

And it's more difficult but still possible to evaluate

2:[tex]\int_0^1\int_y^1 e^{x^2}\; dx[/tex]

I'd say it's most likely the second one. But that said as said above we need to know which is which.

So which is it eq. 1: or eq. 2:?

Indeed slider this is true, it's actually not that awkward, if you know what you are doing either way. However it becomes much more difficult when you don't know what the question is. :wink::smile:

slider142 said:
f(x, y) = ex2 is constant in y. Switching the order of integration gives us the integral:
This simplifies easily, as you grab an x from the limits of integration. The resulting integral is elementary.

That's an excellent point that I completely missed. Thanks.

But then doesn't the x*e^x^2 integrated over dx bring me back to the same problem of being unable to integrate e^x^2?

No, do a substitution. u=x^2, du=2xdx. And STOP writing e^x^2, that's not clear.

goatsebear said:
But then doesn't the x*e^x^2 integrated over dx bring me back to the same problem of being unable to integrate e^x^2?

hint: click on equation 2 from my post above then cut and paste the latex into the post window. Then everyone will know what you mean.

[tex] \int xe^u\;dx[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is an important concept in multivariable calculus that allows us to integrate over a two-dimensional region in the xy-plane. It is essentially the integral of a function of two variables, and it represents the volume under the surface of that function in three-dimensional space.

2. How do I set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. This is typically done by graphing the region of integration and finding the bounds for both the x and y variables. The double integral is then written as an integral of the function over the two limits of integration.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral?

Evaluating a double integral allows us to find the exact numerical value of the volume under a two-dimensional surface. This is useful in many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, where calculating volumes and areas is necessary.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating double integrals?

There are several techniques for evaluating double integrals, including the use of iterated integrals, the change of variables method, and the use of polar coordinates. The technique used will depend on the complexity of the function and the region of integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to solve problems involving calculating volumes and areas, finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and determining probabilities in statistics and probability theory.