1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral problem

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]I=\int^{a}_{0}dx\int^{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}_{0}[/tex][tex](x-y)dy[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]r^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Im thinking that the question is asking to integrate the first quarter of the circle of radius a between 0 and pi/2. In that case ive changed the limits to :-
    [tex]\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}r.dr.d\theta[/tex] but now im not sure what to do with the (x-y) given in the question. I cant seem to be able to rearrange this - [tex]r^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex] to give me a value i can use in polar coordinates.

This integral apparantly is supposed to give an answer of 0. is this correct? i don't see how it can be zero if there is a limit of a.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2010 #2
    that top integral bottom limit should be zero, and the equation is (x-y). I must have messed up the latex code

4. Jun 26, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

x and y are, well, x and y. However, x and y are algebraically related to r and theta, and you may find it useful to do a conversion.

While it would be good practice to do so, a naive brute force calculation is not the best way to solve this problem -- the solution is very, very simple if you make the right observation about what this integral is actually calculating. You've already made half of the observation, or nearly so -- you've identified geometrically the region of integration.

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4
    i'm sure its really obvious, but i can't see the relation between (x-y) and r or theta, i don't see how an r can be substituted in if [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex] i can't make it fit. Are you also suggesting that i substitute the a for something else?

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You knew one relationship between (x,y) and (r,theta): r²=x²+y². Where did that relationship come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook