1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral problem

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    8yv6i.png

My idea was that the limits are
    BrQKm.png

and that the anti-derivative of dy was

xlog(1+y^2)

but that seems wrong...

maybe use these limits instead

YKvJd.png

and start with dx?

gives us
    rDFwG.png

then we take dy

rgKWx.png

guess, i figured it out eventually with the help of wolfram with the last integration

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reason your 1st attempt didn't work is that [tex]\int\frac{1}{1+y^2}\,dy=\tan^{-1}(y)+C\,.[/tex]

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is wrong. It is standard "Calculus I" mistake to treat a function of the variable as if it were just the variable but you should be past that by the time you are doing multiple integrals. "[itex]1/(1+ y^2)[/itex]" is NOT the same as [itex]1/y[/itex] and its anti-derivative is not a logarithm. The anti-derivative of [itex]1/(1+ y^2)[/itex] is [itex]arctan(y)+ C[/itex]. That's a standard anti-derivative that you should have memorized.

Yes, reversing the order of integration is the best way to handle this one. Integerating [itex]arctan(1)- arctan(x^2)= \pi/4- arctan(x^2)[/itex] is likely to be very difficult!

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I agree !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook