Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double integral problem

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    8yv6i.png

My idea was that the limits are
    BrQKm.png

and that the anti-derivative of dy was

xlog(1+y^2)

but that seems wrong...

maybe use these limits instead

YKvJd.png

and start with dx?

gives us
    rDFwG.png

then we take dy

rgKWx.png

guess, i figured it out eventually with the help of wolfram with the last integration

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reason your 1st attempt didn't work is that [tex]\int\frac{1}{1+y^2}\,dy=\tan^{-1}(y)+C\,.[/tex]

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, it is wrong. It is standard "Calculus I" mistake to treat a function of the variable as if it were just the variable but you should be past that by the time you are doing multiple integrals. "[itex]1/(1+ y^2)[/itex]" is NOT the same as [itex]1/y[/itex] and its anti-derivative is not a logarithm. The anti-derivative of [itex]1/(1+ y^2)[/itex] is [itex]arctan(y)+ C[/itex]. That's a standard anti-derivative that you should have memorized.

Yes, reversing the order of integration is the best way to handle this one. Integerating [itex]arctan(1)- arctan(x^2)= \pi/4- arctan(x^2)[/itex] is likely to be very difficult!

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I agree !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook