Integrating with Double Limits: X or Y? Calculating the Correct Integral

In summary,- an online test says that 65,7 is incorrect for the integral over y- the integral over x can be solved using limits between -4 and 5- if y is greater than 0, then the limits over y are also greater than 0
MisterP
Homework Statement
Hello. I have this double integral I have to calculate.
Relevant Equations
Shown below

So i drew sketch.

And I do not understand, how to write integral for calculation, which I should use, X or Y on limit?

Is one of them right?
First answer gives me 65,7
Second 383,4

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi P,

For which variable are the limits you write ?
What is the first variable you integrate over ?

As long as interchanging integration variables does not give you the same result, please post a bit more of your work...:rolleyes:

I wrote that integral for area I need to calculate.. the are between functions x=y^2-4; y = 0 and x=5

First, I integrate (x+2y)

How ?
BvU said:
As long as interchanging integration variables does not give you the same result, please post a bit more of your work...:rolleyes:

X as constant

BvU said:
What is the first variable you integrate over ?
MisterP said:
First, I integrate (x+2y)
x+2y is the integrand (the function to integrate)

You have to integate over an area. The shaded area in your picture
You can choose to integrate first over x and then over y, or vice versa.

MisterP said:
X as constant
Ok, so you first integrate over y. What are the bounds ?

Bounds are limits? English is not my native..

I know how to integrate, I just got confused on which should be as a limit, x = or y = . I have test closing in 15min

Yes limits

X limits are from -4 to 5 and Y limits are from 0 to sqrt(4+x)?

Yes. To answer your original question: the second is correct. For an integration over y you need a limit that is a function of x

and 65,7 is not the right answer :D

The result of integrating over y is a function of x only. Then you integrate that over x

I do not get it, why is 65,7 wrong?
I got the same result as calculator and it says it is wrong (online test)

Beats me. I find ##\ (xy+y^2) \Big |_0^\sqrt{x+4} = x\sqrt{x+4}+x+4 \ ## Integrate that from -4 to 5 (I use a calculator too) gets same answer as you.

Now the hammer: If we do the integration over x first, the limits are ##y^2-4## and 5

I find ##\ ({1\over 2}x^2+2xy) \Big |_{y^2-4}^5 = 12.5 + 10 y - {1\over 2} (y^2-4)^2 - 2y (y^2-4) \ ##
Integrate that from 0 to 3 using the tool again gets me the same answer again.

(after I found and fixed my own mistake o:) ) :smile:

All I can conclude is: there is something wrong with the test answer

By the way: #16 is an example of what I mean when I ask
BvU said:
please post a bit more of your work...:rolleyes:

MisterP said:
X limits are from -4 to 5 and Y limits are from 0 to sqrt(4+x)?
There is no indication in post #1 that ##y \ge 0##. Based on that post, the region you are integrating over should extend down below the x-axis.

Likes BvU
o:)o:)o:)

Mark44 said:
There is no indication in post #1 that ##y \ge 0##. Based on that post, the region you are integrating over should extend down below the x-axis.
Like this.

Yes, so it looks like it was just all times 2 :)

MisterP said:
Yes, so it looks like it was just all times 2 :)
Be Careful about such a leap.

Added in Edit:
I should have said:
No. It's definitely not as simple as multiplying by 2.

Last edited:

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface. It is essentially an extension of a single integral, which is used to find the area under a one-dimensional curve.

Why do we use double integrals?

Double integrals are used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and science, including finding the volume of a three-dimensional object, calculating the mass of an object with varying density, and determining the average value of a function over a two-dimensional region.

How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first set up the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral. Finally, you can solve for the numerical value of the integral using a calculator or computer program.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and will give a numerical value as the result. An indefinite double integral does not have specific limits of integration and will result in a function, which can then be evaluated at specific points to find its numerical value.

What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the gravitational potential energy of an object, determining the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, and finding the electric field strength at a point in a two-dimensional field. They are also used in economics, physics, and engineering to solve various problems.