1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral question

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Looks like I'm back with another question already :frown: I need to change the order of integration for this double integral and then evaluate it, but I get to a point where I'm not sure what to do.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int^3_{0} \int^9_{y} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dx dy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

With the changed order of integration it needs two integrals added together, this is what I came up with:

[tex]\int^3_{0} \int^x_{0} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dy dx + \int^9_{3} \int^3_{0} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dy dx[/tex]

And I planned to work them both out separately, but didn't get too far with the first one:

[tex]= \int^3_{0} \left[y\sqrt{x}cos(x)\right]^{x}_{0} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int^3_{0} x\sqrt{x}cos(x) dx[/tex]

I'm not sure if I've made a mistake getting here, but it looks like I need to integrate [tex]x\sqrt{x}cos(x)[/tex] and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that at all.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Refraction! :smile:

Your change of order looks fine.

The only problem is how to integrate x1/2cosx or x3/2cosx … I don't know any way of doing that (other than using power series). :redface:

4. May 6, 2010 #3
    That's what I was thinking as well, we've never done anything like that in this class before, and it's only supposed to be a small question so I'm not sure why it's like that.

The only thing I can think of is it maybe meaning to change the order and just leave it like that, but it's worded a bit strangely then. Thanks anyway!

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  5. May 6, 2010 #4
    Hi Refraction,

How did you change the order?(there was a y ?)

For the computation of the integral, the only way I can see is with power series too...

6. May 6, 2010 #5
    The line was x = y in the original question, I just used it as y = x for when the order is reversed (so it's in the first half of the reversed order integral now).

7. May 6, 2010 #6
    :confused: I still don't understand...

8. May 6, 2010 #7
    Well the area bounded by the lines looks something like this:

9qwcoi.png

So with the reversed order of integration (dy dx) for the first double integral, R1, the inner integral is from y = 0 to y = x, and the outer integral is from x = 0 to x = 3.

9. May 6, 2010 #8
    I got it. thank you very much!

10. May 6, 2010 #9
    Ah, Grasshopper. The student has become the master!

11. May 6, 2010 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook