1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral-semi circle

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    if the quest is like this:

Show that double integral over R ( r2 sin(theta)) dr d(theta), where R is the region bounded by the semicircle r=2acos(theta), ABOVE THE INITIAL LINE....

???? theta varies from.....????

finally after 1st integration I got the value as
    integral of___ to ___ -[(8a^3)/3] * [((cos^4)theta]....

Am I right till this step?...if not, please correct!

Thanks in advance
    AG:approve:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Show that the double integral [/b]what[/b]? The predicate of your sentence is missing! Do you just mean evaluate the double integral?

That figure is the circle with center at (a, 0) and radius a. The entire circle is swept out as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Since r= 2a(cos(0))= 2a, the initial point is (2a, 0) and the "initial line" is the x-axis. "above the initial line" is the upper half of the circle which is swept out as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].
    You want
    [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^\pi \int_{r= 0}^{2acos(\theta)} r^2 sin(\theta)dr d\theta[/itex]

As for what you have done already, since there is a "[itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]" in your integrand, I don't see how integrating with respect to r could get rid of that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook