1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral Setup

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the bounds, 0≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex]≤2, 0≤y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≤1, and 2y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex].

I now have a line u=y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-y[itex]_{2}[/itex] and I'm trying to find the area such that y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≥y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-u.

The integral comes down to two parts, the first of which I'm stuck on (when 0≤y1≤1). I'm pretty sure I have one way setup correctly, when I take the integral of dy2 first and then dy1, but for some reason I cannot get the double integral of dy1dy2 to workout properly. This is what I have the setups as:

[itex]\int^{u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{u+y_{2}}_{2y_{2}}dy_{1}dy_{2}[/itex] = u[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2 (This is the one I believe is correct)

[itex]\int^{2u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{y_{1}/2}_{y_{1}-u}dy_{2}dy_{1}[/itex] = u[itex]^{2}[/itex] (This is the one I cannot get to match the first)

Any insight would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure what bounds I'm messing up, but I'm sure that's it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    what is the limit for y2 ?

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Ah, it seems I wrote the original bounds incorrectly. Sorry about that.

The bounds are actually: 0≤y2≤1, 0≤y1≤2, and 2y2≤y1.

Thanks!

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4
    its [itex]\int^{u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{\frac{y1}{2}}_{0}[/itex]dy[itex]_{2}[/itex]dy[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\int^{2u}_{u}[/itex][itex]\int^{\frac{y_{1}}{2}}_{y_{1}-u}[/itex]dy[itex]_{2}[/itex]dy[itex]_{1}[/itex]

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5
    Thank you very much. That makes perfect sense to me. Next time I'll draw the graph better to scale, which I think was throwing off where the y2 = y1 - u line was above the xaxis.

Thanks!

7. Oct 20, 2011 #6
    you are welcome !
    but though i figured out what was wrong and set up the limits correctly i'm getting [itex]\frac{-u^{2}}{2}[/itex], have you worked it out? , if yes pls show me

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7
    Hey,

Sorry it's been a few days. I had a friend in from out of town and a test in another class I was studying for. This is what I managed to come up with:

[itex]\int^{u}_{0}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{0} dy_{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{y_{1}-u} dy_{2}dy_{1}[/itex]
    = [itex]\int^{u}_{0} \frac{y_{1}}{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u} (-\frac{1}{2}y_{1} -u)dy_{1}[/itex]
    = [itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + (-\frac{1}{4}(4u^{2}) + 2u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2} - u^{2})[/itex]
    =[itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2}[/itex]
    =[itex]\frac{u^{2}}{2}[/itex]

Thanks again for the help setting it up. I'm pretty sure I got the integral right.

9. Oct 23, 2011 #8
    You are welcome , it's nice to help each other so same to you :) , I think the 2nd integral must be [itex] \int^{2u}_{u} (-\frac{1}{2}y_{1} +u)dy_{1}[/itex] , Am i right ?

10. Oct 25, 2011 #9
    Yep, you're right. Forgot to carry that negative sign through.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook