1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral sphere/plane

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume under the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 and above the plane z=a, where 0<a<r

2. Relevant equations
    x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 is the equation of a sphere with radius r centered at the origin

z=a is the equation of a plane with height a parallel to the xy plane

V = ∫∫z dx dy over the region R

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged z=a into the equation of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 to find where the two surfaces intersected. I got x^2+y^2=r^2-a^2. I also solved the original sphere equation for z to get z=(r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5, taking the positive root because the volume lies above the z axis.

V=∫∫zdxdy, I plugged in z=(r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5 to get ∫∫((r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5)dxdy

I solved for x in the intersection equation above to get my bounds of integration x=(r^2-a^2-y^2)^.5 and x=-(r^2-a^2-y^2)^.5

I set x=0 in the intersection equation above and solved for y to get my bounds of integration y=(r^2-a^2)^.5 and y=-(r^2-a^2)^.5

I put the above bounds next to their respective integral signs in the volume equation and put it in my calculator. It spit back a nasty looking formula at me, with sin(infinity) as part of the equation, so I think I did something wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want the volume above z = a so your integrand should be zupper- zlower so you need to subtract a from the integrand.

Next, I would use R instead of r as the radius of the sphere and change your dydx integral to polar coordinates. That way you won't confuse the radius of the sphere with the r in polar coordinates. It will simplify your integral a lot but may not make it that much easier to integrate.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I managed to get:

V = ∫∫r((R^2-r^2)^.5-a)drdθ with bounds of (R^2-r^2)^.5 to 0 on the dr and bounds of 2*pi to 0 on the dθ. Simplifying this gives me (2R^3-3a*R^2+a^3)*pi/3. Thanks again for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook