Double Integral Substitution: Solving for the Jacobian in Terms of u and v

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a double integral over a specific region and the use of substitutions to find the Jacobian. The suggestion of using Green's Theorem is given, but the person responding believes a substitution is more appropriate. The final solution involves making the suggested substitution and using an integral table to complete the final integral.
Imo
The question is Evaluate the double integral over the region R of the function f(x,y)=(x/y -y/x), where R is in the first quadrant, bounded by the curves xy=1, xy=3, x^2 -y^2 =1, x^2-y^2 =4.

Now it seems that a substitution would be the best bet. What I've done is make u=xy, and v=x^2 -y^2. From this, I calculate the Jacobian and get |J|=2(x^2 +y^2). The problem is, I can't then find J in terms of u,v. I've tried many other substitutions, but finding the limits of integration just become much more difficult.

Can anyone either suggest another substitution (right or wrong doesn't matter, I'll check anyways) or give me a hint as to how to find J in terms of u,v? I've been doing this question for about 3-5 hours and I just keep going in circles.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Imo said:
The question is Evaluate the double integral over the region R of the function f(x,y)=(x/y -y/x), where R is in the first quadrant, bounded by the curves xy=1, xy=3, x^2 -y^2 =1, x^2-y^2 =4.
Have you considered applying Green's Theorem (shown below). The Line Integrals are probably easier to compute in this case. (Remember to traverse "C" in the positive sense, that is, counter-clockwise.)
P = y2/(2x)
Q = x2/(2y)
(∂P/∂y) = y/x
(∂Q/∂x) = x/y
∫∫R f(x,y) dx dy = ∫∫R (x/y) - (y/x) dx dy = ∫∫R (∂Q/∂x) - (∂P/∂y) dx dy =
= ∫C P dx + Q dy = ∫C y2/(2x) dx + ∫C x2/(2y) dy

~~

Last edited:
I don't think Green's Theorem is even needed, considering I haven't learned it in that class yet. I'm pretty sure there's an appropriate substitution.

thanks xanthym for answering, i figured out the answer a little while ago. If anyone is interested: You just make the substitution I said above, and you can square and take square root x^2 +y^2 and then complete the square to get a value of the Jacobian as a function of u and v. You need an integral table (or a good memory) to do the final integral.

1. What is a double integral substitution?

A double integral substitution is a method used in multivariable calculus to evaluate a double integral by replacing the variables with a new set of variables. This substitution is used to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should a double integral substitution be used?

A double integral substitution should be used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a complicated expression that cannot be easily integrated in its current form. The substitution allows for a simpler expression to be integrated, making the overall process easier.

3. How is a double integral substitution performed?

To perform a double integral substitution, the original variables in the integral are replaced with a new set of variables using a substitution formula. These new variables are then used to rewrite the integrand, and the integral is evaluated with respect to the new variables.

4. What are some common substitution formulas used in double integrals?

Some common substitution formulas used in double integrals include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These are often used when the integrand involves trigonometric functions or has a circular or spherical symmetry.

5. What are the benefits of using a double integral substitution?

The main benefit of using a double integral substitution is that it simplifies the integral, making it easier to solve. This can save time and effort in the overall integration process. Additionally, using a substitution can often lead to a more general solution that can be applied to a wider range of problems.