Double integral substitution

In summary, the original integral is transformed using the variable substitution u=x and v=3y, resulting in a new area of integration of 1<=u^2+v^2<=9 and u>=v. After switching to polar coordinates, the integral becomes ∫∫(1/3)r^4cos^3θ drdθ with limits of integration 1<=r<=3 and arctan(1/3)<=θ<=pi-arctan(1/3). One mistake was made in setting the upper limit for r as 9 instead of √9=3.
Swasse
Hey.

Homework Statement

∫∫x^3 dxdy, with the area of integration: D={(x,y)∈R^2: 1<=x^2+9y^2<=9, x>=3y}

The Attempt at a Solution

Did the variable substitution u=x and v=3y so the area of integration became 1<=u^2 + v^2 <=9, u>=v. And the integral became ∫∫(1/3)u^3 dudv. Then I switched to polar coordinates and the integral ∫∫(1/3)r^4cos^3θ drdθ, with 1<=r<=9 and -3/4<=θ<=pi/4.

Any errors so far?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first, if you take u= x, v= 3y then 1<= x^2+ y^2<= 9 does NOT become 1<= u^2+ v^2<= 9, it becomes 1<= u^2+ v^2/9<= 9, the region between two ellipses. Since you then change to polar coordinates, I don't see any good reason to do that. Rather, change to polar coordinates initially. The line x= 3y, or y= x/3 has [itex]\theta= arctan(1/3)[/itex] so the integral is [tex]\int_{\theta= -\pi+ arctan(1/3)}^{arctan(1/3)}\int_{r= 1}^3 r^4 cos^3(\theta) drd\theta[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Well, first, if you take u= x, v= 3y then 1<= x^2+ y^2<= 9 does NOT become 1<= u^2+ v^2<= 9, it becomes 1<= u^2+ v^2/9<= 9, the region between two ellipses. Since you then change to polar coordinates, I don't see any good reason to do that. Rather, change to polar coordinates initially. The line x= 3y, or y= x/3 has [itex]\theta= arctan(1/3)[/itex] so the integral is [tex]\int_{\theta= -\pi+ arctan(1/3)}^{arctan(1/3)}\int_{r= 1}^3 r^4 cos^3(\theta) drd\theta[/tex].

My mistake, it should have said 1<= x^2+ 9y^2<= 9

Can someone please confirm if my way of solving is correct? I made a typo in the first post, but I have corrected it now.

Your upper limit for ##r## is wrong.

Likes 1 person
vela said:

I had a feeling it was, because my answer was in the right form, just too large. Can you please explain why it is wrong?

vela said:

Just figured it out, the radius is not 9, it is √9=3. Is that the correct limit?

Yup!

Likes 1 person

What is a double integral substitution?

A double integral substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate a double integral by substituting a new variable in place of the original variables.

Why is double integral substitution used?

Double integral substitution is used to simplify the integration process by converting the double integral into a single variable integral, making it easier to solve.

How is double integral substitution done?

To perform a double integral substitution, a new variable is chosen and substituted into the original integral. The limits of integration are also changed to correspond with the new variable.

What are the benefits of using double integral substitution?

Double integral substitution allows for easier integration of complicated functions, as well as making the process more efficient and less prone to errors.

What are some common substitutions used in double integrals?

Some common substitutions used in double integrals include u-substitution, trigonometric substitutions, and polar coordinates.