1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral under a cone

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid:
    Under the cone z = Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]
    Above the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 4

2. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using formatting but I couldnt get it right so I'll explain...I changed variables by making the upper and lower limit of the inner integral [-2,2], with the outer integral [0,2pi]. The inner integral became integral of r^2 because Sqrt[ x^2 + y^2 ] is r then multiply by the r in r dr d(theta)... So I got

[r^3/3] from [-2,2] which gave me 16/3. I then integrated with respect to theta from 0 to 2pi (is this correct? Is the disk around the origin??) and that gave me 32pi/3 but the answer was the original 16pi/3. This is why I think it should be integrated from 0 to pi but I cant see why because the disk lies in all 4 quadrants.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To cover a disk of radius 2 in polar coordinates, r does not go from -2 to 2. By convention in polar coordinates you usually take r nonnegative. Try r from 0 to 2 and theta from 0 to 2pi.
  4. Jun 11, 2010 #3
    Ah I see, looks like I may need to do work on polar coordinates :/
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook