Double Integral of yx: Solving with k^2*X^2*a^3/6 - Attempt at Solution

In summary, the conversation is about a double integral problem and a solution that was provided. However, the solution was questioned due to the inclusion of an x in the integration limit. The original poster then asked for clarification on how to properly write integrals on forums. Another user pointed out the mistake in the integral and suggested a different notation to use.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
His x limit of integration includes an x, so I think this is the right answer. I suspect it might be the wrong integral, however. :)

Ok, I'll post the steps... BTW Can I just ask how one writes integrals on forums so those so they aren't a terrible pain to read? :)

@hgfalling: Do you think there was a typo in text or did I make a really dumb mistake?

Edit: I've went to wolfram alpha and got the same result. Should I in the future use similar notation to that accepted by wolfram?

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7077/integral2.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
@gabbagabbahey: Your signature is most helpfull! :)

Hi SimpliciusH! :smile:

have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You may have fooled Wolfram, but you can't fool us o:)

you can't integrate over a variable and then put the variable back in as a limit of integration …

0kx f(x) dx doesn't make sense.

Are you sure the integral isn't [tex]\int_0^a\int_0^{kx}xy^2dydx[/tex]? As tinytim said, it is very bad notation to have an integral over [itex]x[/itex] and have [itex]x[/itex] in your integration limits.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It is denoted by ∬f(x,y)dA and is used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the purpose of solving a double integral?

The purpose of solving a double integral is to find the area under a surface in three-dimensional space. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a container or the work done by a force over a given region.

3. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as the method of substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral. In some cases, it may be necessary to break the integral into smaller pieces and use multiple integrals to solve it.

4. What is the formula for solving the double integral of yx?

The formula for solving the double integral of yx is ∬yx dA = k^2*X^2*a^3/6, where k, X, and a are constants. This formula can be derived using the standard techniques for solving double integrals, such as the method of substitution or integration by parts.

5. Can the double integral of yx be solved using other methods?

Yes, the double integral of yx can also be solved using other methods, such as the method of cylindrical shells or the method of cross-sections. These methods involve breaking the two-dimensional region into smaller pieces and using single integrals to solve the problem.