Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double integral yx

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you are integrating over both [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex], so your answer shouldn't have [itex]x[/itex] in it. Why not show us your steps...

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    His x limit of integration includes an x, so I think this is the right answer. I suspect it might be the wrong integral, however. :)

5. May 23, 2010 #4
    Ok, I'll post the steps... BTW Can I just ask how one writes integrals on forums so those so they aren't a terrible pain to read? :)

@hgfalling: Do you think there was a typo in text or did I make a really dumb mistake?

Edit: I've went to wolfram alpha and got the same result. Should I in the future use similar notation to that accepted by wolfram?

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7077/integral2.png [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. May 23, 2010 #5
    @gabbagabbahey: Your signature is most helpfull! :)

7. May 23, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SimpliciusH! :smile:

have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You may have fooled Wolfram, but you can't fool us o:)

you can't integrate over a variable and then put the variable back in as a limit of integration …

0kx f(x) dx doesn't make sense.

8. May 23, 2010 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure the integral isn't [tex]\int_0^a\int_0^{kx}xy^2dydx[/tex]? As tinytim said, it is very bad notation to have an integral over [itex]x[/itex] and have [itex]x[/itex] in your integration limits.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook