Double Integral A₁, -1 - Does it Check Out?

In summary, the conversation was about a calculation involving spherical harmonics. The questioner asked if their calculation was correct, but later realized their error.
Dustinsfl
\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_{1,-1} & = & \frac{50\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi}e^{-i\varphi}\sin\theta d\theta d\varphi\\
& = & \frac{100\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}e^{-i\varphi}d\varphi\\
& = & \frac{100\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\\
\end{alignat*}

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_{1,-1} & = & \frac{50\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi}e^{-i\varphi}\sin\theta d\theta d\varphi\\
& = & \frac{100\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}e^{-i\varphi}d\varphi\\
& = & \frac{100\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\\
\end{alignat*}

Is this correct?

No need to answer this question. I was asking this in reference to something I was doing in Spherical Harmonics. I found the error of my way.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves finding the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It is essentially an extension of a regular integral, which finds the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space.

2. What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to calculate the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving area, mass, and other physical quantities.

3. What does the notation A₁, -1 - Does it Check Out? mean?

This notation refers to a specific type of double integral, where the variable "x" has an upper limit of A₁ and a lower limit of -1. It is commonly used to represent a specific region on the x-y plane that is being integrated over.

4. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as the method of slices or the method of shells, to evaluate the integral. It is important to also check for symmetry and use appropriate coordinate systems when solving double integrals.

5. Why is it important to check if a double integral "checks out"?

Checking if a double integral "checks out" is important because it ensures that the calculated volume is accurate and makes sense in the context of the problem. It also helps to catch any potential errors or mistakes in the integration process.