1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    Int Int (x*y^3 + 1) dS

where S is the surface r=1, tetha from 0 to Pi and z from 0 to 2.

How can I solve this integral? I haven't got a clue.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2
    What a peculiar question that asks you to evaluate an integrand in cartesian coordinates but defines the surface in cylindrical. I would start by converting x*y^3 to cylindrical coordinates. You should be able to see the solution more clearly then.
  4. Apr 21, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The given surface is half a cylinder. Convert to cylindrical coordinates. Do you know how to find the "differential of surface area"?
  5. Apr 21, 2007 #4
    No. But I know that x=rcos(t) and y=rsin(t) in cylindrical coords.
  6. Apr 21, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Odd, if someone expects you to be able to do a problem like this then surely they expect you to be able to integrate over a surface area! Perhaps you need to review your text.

Since we are given that r=1, we have [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex], and z= z. The "position vector" of any point on the surface is [itex] cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ z\vec{j}[/itex].

The derivative with respcect to [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and the derivative with respect to z is [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those two vectors:[itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and the length of that gives the "differential of surface area". [itex]\sqrt{cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)}= 1[itex] so [itex]d\sigma = d\theta dy[/itex].
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  7. Apr 21, 2007 #6
    My book simply says that

Int Int (xy^3+1) dS = Int Int dS + 0 = 2*Pi

I don't understand why...

I converted into cylindrical coords:

Int Int (r^5cos(t)sin((t))^3 + r) dr dt

But what are the limits now?
  8. Apr 21, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Had a little too much wine with dinner! There should be no "+ 1" in the square root. [itex]d\sigma= d\theta dz[/itex] is the correct differential.

In these coordinates, xy3+ 1 is [itex]cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)+ 1[/itex] so you want to find
    [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^\pi\int_{z=0}^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)dzd\theta[/itex]
  9. Apr 21, 2007 #8
    I understood it now finding some examples in my book. Thank you so much!
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?