1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find [tex]\int\int_D sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dA[/tex] bounded by [tex]x=0, y=\pi, x=y^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've only studied calculus 1, this problem is for my friend. I did read up briefly on double integrals however and this is why I'm stuck:

From the limits and where the graphs intersect, we have:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{\pi}sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dydx[/tex]

then integrating and evaluating the inside part:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\left(-xcos\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)+xcos\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\right)\right)dx[/tex]

But finding the integral of that seems impossible. I also tried reversing the order of integration, but come up with the same problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you'll have to make use of the special function

[tex]\text{Ci}(z)\equiv-\int_z^\infty\frac{\cos(t)}{t}dt[/tex]

called the Cosine integral

Just split the integral into two and make the substitution [itex]u=\frac{\pi}{x}[/itex] for the first, and [itex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] for the second.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok, let me try this...

[tex]u=\frac{\pi}{x}, x=\frac{\pi}{u}, dx=\frac{-\pi}{u^2}du[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}, x=\frac{1}{v^2}, dx=\frac{-2}{v^3}dv[/tex]

So substituting all this in:

[tex]\pi^2\int_0^{\pi^2}\frac{cosu}{u^3}du+2\int_{\pi^2}^{0}\frac{cosv}{v^5}dv[/tex]

But I'm unsure how to apply the fact that [tex]Ci(z)=\int\frac{cosz}{z}dz[/tex] to this expression.

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, you need to change your limits of integration, since ytou are no longer integrating over [itex]x[/itex]. Second, there's no need too use two different variables since [itex]\int_a^b f(v)dv=\int_a^b f(u)du[/itex] (i.e. for definite integral, the integration variable is essentially a dummy variable)

You should end up with

[tex]\int\int_D \sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dA=-\pi^2\int_{\frac{1}{\pi}}^\infty\frac{\cos u}{u^3}du+2\int_{\frac{1}{\pi}}^\infty\frac{\cos u}{u^5}du[/tex]

Use integration by parts twice on each.

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh yes of course, thanks that's really helpful :smile:

Obviously integrating by parts will give a big long expression and looking at it now, I'm not even going to think about posting it here. Taking [itex]\infty[/itex] as one of the limits of the integration cancels out a lot.

But one more thing, can [tex]cos\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex] be expressed more simply? And how do I evaluate the [tex]Ci\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex]?

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

Same way you evaluate [itex]e[/itex] (the base of the natural logarithm) or [itex]\pi[/itex]; approximate it numerically to arbitrary precision using a power series. In other words, just leave it as is. It can't be simplified in terms of elementary functions.

8. Apr 28, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes of course, but it's just that I don't know what the power series for Ci(z) is and I'm afraid my calculator doesn't have a button for it either :biggrin:

And sometimes including numerical approximations are a nice addition to the big long expression.

9. Apr 29, 2010 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just use a better calculator:smile:

I'm sure Wolfram alpha (Google it) will have no problem giving you a numerical approximation. Alternatively, I'd venture a guess that you could look up the power series online and find it quickly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook